Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Miss Redonia Leigh Smith

August 13, 1986 marks a most memorable day for Kent and me. Exactly 22 years ago Kent and I were very distinctly changed. Seven months prior to 8-13-86 we learned the devastating news that it was medically impossible for me to give birth. Shortly after we were presented with the prospect of one of the greatest blessings, adoption. The baby was due in August, seven months later.

Redonia is not only an important part of our family, she is an important part of CUPC. She teaches at CCS, directs the children’s choir, leads several sign praise groups, is the church graphics designer, transports younger teens to eat after service, is an awesome praise singer, sings solos in the choir, loves praying with people to receive the Holy Ghost, is faithful to her college and career group and on and on and on the list continues. I can’t imagine our family or CUPC without Redonia.

Redonia is a wonderful daughter and daddy’s baby girl. She is very graceful, stunningly beautiful, and compassionate to her own hurt. She is a lover of animals, clothes, shoes, sunglasses, purses, and lip gloss. She owns a graphics and photography business. She loves God, helping those less fortunate, and serving the church. She is an avid reader and addicted to music. She enjoys her cell phone, camera, and computers. She is a connoisseur of steak, icing, pepperoni, energy drinks, gum, goldfish, and gummies. She enjoys the tanning bed and outdoors. She loves the ocean, walking, running, swimming, exercising, bungee jumping, roller coasters, snow and water skiing, and any other action she can possibly indulge. She has changed her college major ‘umpteen’ times and may finish by the time she is 100!

Redonia is our miracle. She has experienced many miracles and has struggled against many obstacles. She is an incredible lady. Her ability to multi-task amazes me. This OCD mom enjoys her daughter’s talents yet has always been driven nuts by her artsy side from scribbling on freshly painted walls, doodling on every piece of school paper, to being a messy decorating cookies and cupcakes. Her love for noise has about driven me insane. I’ve had to listen to Hank the Cowdog, Oddysey, music, cassette tapes, cd’s, talking Mother Goose, Teddy Ruxpin, ipods, you tube, goofy cell phone ringers, and even talk radio. When I think back over the past 22 years I have so many wonderful memories. I hope she knows she is loved more than I can express. Each time I hear Redonia say she WILL adopt children lets me know we have accomplished.

Happy 22nd Birthday, Redonia, I love you!!!!!

18 comments:

Vicki said...

yeah! I am first to wish you a MOST wonderful birthday. We will have to have a b/day cake to share when I get home next week. Love you LOTS AND LOTS and glad that I could be the aunt that helped to spoil you. Now, remember the b/day gift in 2000? It was something you wanted and your mother wouldn't buy it for you? (hint - had water in it SMILES)

LOVE YOU Redonia!

Ronnie Long said...

Happy Birthday Redonia. I remember the day your Mom & Dad brought you home. I have so many pictures of you and Rhonna in your diapers haha Ya'll were "best budds". Memories, Memories. You are a georgeous young lady. I hope you have a wonderful day! We love you and your family.

Ronnie & Sheri Long

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Happy Birthday, Redonia. I love you very much. I hope your day is most wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Vickie, I wanted to be first!!!! I sent a voice tex Happy Birthday song @ 7:36am!!!! OH well!!!
Love ya Lots Redonia!!

Glenda Martin

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Redonia - you ARE most beautiful and SWEET! I am so very proud of you in all that you have become and most importantly that you have chosen to place God above all else in your life! HAPPY HAPPY Birthday! I love you BUNCHES!!!! Sis. Weldon

Sis. Susan Roen said...

I remember when Redonia joined your family....but she was tiny when I moved away or maybe you all moved away first! Anyway, happy birthday to a very special young lady. Susy

Karen J. Hopper said...

Happy Birthday Redonia. May blessings and goodness be yours.

iluv2prshim said...

Happy Birthday Redonia! You are a beautiful lady. I hope the rest of your day is blessed beyond measure. :)

Misti Wiley said...

Redonia,
Happy Birthday girl! Wish we could see each other again soon, but living so far aways its just not possible. I hope that this is the best year of your life. Know that someone in California is thinking about you. Happy Birthday again!!!!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

Happy Birthday Redonia! You are a beautiful young lady.

Kari Morgan said...

Aaawww. I can't believe she's all growed up! She was bouncin' all over the place when we were there in Conroe. I love what you wrote...what a great synopsis of a childhood that was a total blast and surrounded with love and the things of God. Good job Bro. and Sis. Smith!!! We love you guys...Happy Birthday Redonia...yuo are beautiful!

Amanda said...

hoppi hoppi birfday Do-nut.

Love ya girl! Hope this year is a blast!

KAN said...

I even called her to leave a voice message for her birthday -- me, singing to her just what my boys told me to do - and then last nite at church she said "I don't listen to my messages"! Oh well!
Happiest of days to you, Reddi-kilowatt!!!
I KNOW, really KNOW, you've turned your parents' lives upside down, inside out, over and over, many times. But they wouldn't change these last 22 years for anything!!!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

What a lovely and talented daughter you have.


Happy belated birthday Redonia! Blessings to you!

Susan Hill said...

Aww, I missed the day! Happy Belated Redonia!!!

Susan Hill said...

Aww, I missed the day! Happy Belated Redonia!!!

Yvette said...

Awww, Sorry I'm so late wishing you a happy birthday Redonia.

Here goes...

Happy birthday to you, whew!

Happy birthday to you, whew!

Happy birthday DEAR Redonia, happy birthday to you!!!

And mannnnny more!!!

Love you!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I too remember the day she came home. I used to love to babysit Redonia and pretend she was mine.

Redonia, I'm sure you don't remember me, but you were a VERY special little girl back then and it sounds like you are a VERY special lady today. Happy Birthday!