Monday, August 18, 2008

Laughter Brings Memories

Today we had a long day. Kent and I were priviledged to have Redonia, Trent and Calah join us for dinner around 9:30 pm. Our kids are so crazy when they get together. The three of them sat across the booth from Kent and me. At times I did not have a clue what the crazies were even laughing about. I was reminded of Daddy. He could act so goofy! I came home and looked for a few pics of Daddy. I found one that made me laugh. I couldn't help but think that my Dad would have loved to be right in the middle of the kids fun and laughter tonight.

Daddy passed away in November 1981. Wow that is a long time ago for the feelings to be so fresh. The older the kids get doesn't make it any easier. When the kids were little I KNEW he would want to spoil them. Now I KNOW he would want to just 'hang out' with them. He was so much fun. The girls laughed, squealed and cried. Trent talked goofy and tormented the girls with his actions. Why is Trent so much like him? Why do I always think he would spoil Redonia even more than she already is? Why tonight did I find myself thinking Daddy would just love Calah, too?

It's weird I'm not sad tonight. I'm just remembering lots of Daddy's funny ways. Talking with different accents, wiggling his ears, saying corny things, etc. Daddy dressed very sharp. Hummm Redonia and Trent love to dress, too. Dad was very passionate about different ideas and thoughts. My kids get pretty passionate as well.

Dad, I love you....glad you were @ the booth with us tonight. I carry you in my heart. I hope you laughed with your crazy grandchildren tonight. Solemn me somehow passed your funny side to your grands. I'm so glad I did.


Yes, I'm the solemn child that Dad is holding. Check out the cardboard fireplace! Trent, I'm thinking you would love the suit Dad was wearing. Redonia and Calah, you girls could copy Grammy and get a new hairdo for Sunday night.

9 comments:

Karla said...

Tracie, I completely understand everything you said in this post!!! Memories are triggered by the oddest things and at the craziest times.

I'm glad y'all were able to have this evening together with your kids. And... Is it just me or does Trent look a lot like your dad? I've had several people tell me Cameron favors my dads young pictures. The circle of life continues...

Love you, Karla

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much Trent favors your dad!!!!!

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

What a great picture... Love the fireplace :). THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE PRAYER REQUEST!!!
Love you and Lord Bless you!!
Sis Noel

KAN said...

Wow!! You've always said Trent reminded you of your dad, and it is almost uncanny!!!

Then there are those pages of Bro Smith at Trent's age and the resemblance there is shocking.

I still know what tree the apple fell from, though...

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Thanks for sharing, Tracie. I don't think I have ever seen such a young picture of your Dad! Yes, Trent really does look like your Dad. I think it is so important to remember your dad and make him part of Trent & Calah and Redonia and their lives. Love you, Susy

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

My mother n law was cute back then.......

Tracie Smith said...

Trent does look like Dad. Their mannerisms, posture, voice, actions, attitudes, etc. are the same, too. It is very uncanny, Sis. Newton. I'm glad we named him Raymond Trent after Dad. It just fits! Dad was George Raymond. Daddy was a strong leader yet very witty to the point of being crazy. Trent is just the same. It's strange Trent is even more like Daddy than my brother or any of the other grandsons.

Belinda said...

OH yes and I love the fire place and the CHRISTMAS presents hahahaha.... even though reading this made me tear because it was such special memories you were sharing. :)

GinaMarie said...

I agree with everyone. He is just like your dad. I was reading your post honoring Trent. That was beautiful. I pray my boys will someday be like that. I keep praying they follow after me and my LOVE for the Lord but I keep seeing them act more like thier dad whom Im seperated from and who doesnt live for the Lord & is verbally and emotionally abusive. :o( All my boys are miracles from God. I wasnt suppose to be able to have them. I just keep praying for them.
Thank you Trent for all you do!!