Thursday, February 12, 2009

Perception

Of late I have thought of the word perception. What makes perception different than it really is? How can two people see something so differently? How can people see things that aren’t even there? You know like the man standing at a door and it really be a coat draped across the door. This morning my daily Bible readings brought this word back to my thoughts.

From The Amplified Version, Mark 8:23 And He caught the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village; and when He had spit on his eyes and put His hands upon him, He asked him, Do you [possibly] see anything? 24 And he looked up and said, I see people, but [they look] like trees, walking. 25 Then He put His hands on his eyes again; and the man looked intently [that is, fixed his eyes on definite objects], and he was restored and saw everything distinctly [even what was at a distance.)

Surely many things can cause perception to be different than reality. How horrible for things to become distorted in our eyes. Consider the frustrating feeling of distortion after an eye exam with dilation. Going thru life with distortion would eventually hinder more than eye sight. Balance, coordination, emotional stability and more could certainly be affected. Recently a friend discussed with me certain angers. I was reminded how anger distorts life. Everything is then viewed thru anger. This application that my friend discussed can really be applied to any word, emotion, or struggle.

How horrible would it be to go thru life thinking men were like walking trees as in the scripture passage? Too often things become distorted or even larger in our eyes than reality. As my Bible readings discussed, maybe another touch of the Master’s hand is needed. The first touch possibly brought sight but another touch would bring focus.

“Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing” – Author unknown

2 comments:

Susan Hill said...

You know, in dealing with people, it help a lot when I realized that perception must be taken into consideration! I have been with people, seen the exact same situation happen, and the different versions of the same account are amazing! Lord help me to see as you would have me see. Let my heart be pure in all that I see and do!

Tamara Frazier said...

I love reading your blog sister! It gives me so much to think about and it often helps me to understand my own situations better! THank you!