Friday, February 6, 2009

90 Years and Counting......

This morning Kent and I made our way to the hospital to visit several sick people. Our first stop was to visit a 94 year old lady. She is still a very energetic beautiful lady. This lady attended our church for many years until she moved out of town. Yesterday she called the office and let Calah know she was in the Conroe Hospital. She said she would love for us to stop by for a visit. What a joy to be able to pray with this dear sweet saint of God. As we prayed she began to weep and speak in tongues. I think Kent and I probably left more blessed by her prayers and presence. She said, "If God wants to take me home I'm ready but my kids will give me a big birthday party when I turn 100 and I really hate to miss that!" I couldn't help but smile.

Kent and I made our way to another room of another sweet lady who is also over 90 years of age. This dear lady doesn't attend our church. In fact I'm not sure she attends any church. 18 years ago when moving to Conroe I worked occassionally for the Montgomery County Elections Office. I met this dear lady while working. She would come in to vote and was a very sweet special lady. This year I was blessed to have her attend a Christmas party in our home. When we walked in it was obvious she had been crying. She had just received the news from her doctor that she probably didn't need to live alone anymore. She was insisting she is still able to care for herself. Her eyes lit up when we walked into the room. She was so respectful and reverant when I asked if she minded if we prayed with her. She held our hands and wept as we prayed. Again, when we walked from the room I think I was more blessed by her sweet spirit than our visit was to her.

Of course we visited others in the hospital but I couldn't help but pause this afternoon and honor these elderly ladies who enjoy the beauty of life. These sweet ladies made me reflect on my Mamaw Ingram. She was such a christian and someone that influenced my life greatly.

I hope each of you enjoy your weekend....count your days and hope for more of them. Life is beautiful. Sometimes we get so busy that we may not slow down and enjoy the simple beauty of life. A simple kiss (thanks Redonia for the one you gave me on my forehead a few moments ago), a phone call received from a friend or loved one (thanks to my Mom-in-law for calling to make sure I was feeling better a few minutes ago), a baby's smile, a note from a friend, your family (I LOVE mine!), a hand held (thanks babe for holding mine EVERY DAY), and all the other small things in life that we so often take for granted.

To each of you my friends....I love you and I'm thankful to call you friend! I'm a long way from 90 but I want to count the days of blessings! Love you all....

1 comment:

iluv2prshim said...

I so enjoy visiting with elderly folk like you have described these ladies to be. They are so precious.