Friday, February 27, 2009

Not in Our Youth!

My last post was regarding things we refused to accept in our homes. Today I stand as a pastor's wife with a line drawn in the sand for our youth. Allow me to explain.

Yesterday @ 5:42 am I received a very profane picture sent via text. Just so happens the phone number sending the text was from a youth who previously attended our church. Why would she send me this filth? I was enraged that I was awakened to such filth. After getting up and praying about the girl and the image I felt I was definitely inadvertently sent the picture by the sender but it was purposefully sent by God to protect our youth. I began to question Moms if their child received the text. Of course not one Mom was aware. However, after carefully checking some Moms discovered their children received the text, too.

I discussed this issue with our school Administrator. CCS Chapel is every Thursday. Tina asked if I would speak in chapel as a result of our conversastions. I happily accepted the invitation. She planned a split chapel separating the elementary students from secondary students to better serve me. I prayed about what the Lord would have me discuss with our fine group of students. I felt the Lord drop the word RESPECT into my thoughts.

As I began my devotional I told the students I would be speaking about respect. You could see their countenances drop. I had just witnessed some not showing respect as the Administrator was making some needed announcements. Then I proceeded to tell the students Satan doesn't trip us up or tempt us initially with blatant things. I asked the question, "Why?" One of the students blurted out, "Because it would be too obvious." His answer was my exact sentiments. The devil doesn't respect us enough to not be sneaky with his actions. He endeavors to trick us then we will do the more blantant things.

I discussed with the students many times they are trapped to disrespect, gossip, or being decitful. Then Satan can get them to do more. I explained when I was growing up we didn't have all the many ways to communicate. When it was bed time if my parents thought we were still on the phone they simply picked up another extension of the house phone to listen. Then would very clearly tell me "Tracie, it is too late for you to be on the phone. Hang up NOW!" Now it's too easy for kids to talk late, text, etc and parents not know. Take a cell phone from a child and they can still send texts using the computer to their friend's phones. They can use different online messaging devices - Facebook, Aol messenger, Yahoo messenger, Myspace, and probably many more. As I discussed these things the youth smiled. I asked, "How many of you know what I am talking about is true?" Almost every hand was raised.

I have had parents tell me my child wouldn't or my child doesn't do certain things. This scares me even more. EVERY child faces temptations. I have had parents tell me "Oh Sis. Smith my child would tell me if ...... happened." Really? I want to scream. It's amazing when I have been priviledged to visit with the youth I don't feel the same innocence the parent's feel. Do I think these kids are bad? No! But I do realize the pressures are much different today.

I believe if we will not proverbially stick our head in the sand we will not have to tolerate some things in our youth. Yes, they will be tempted. Yes, they will even fail along the way. But we will not have to tolerate certain things remaining in our youth.

I discussed with the students that according to scripture ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. I also told them to let those who were without sin cast the first stone. I lead our chapel students in prayer in these two areas. I am thankful that the presence of the Lord swept in. As I concluded praying I looked across the sanctuary there were many with tears. I was blessed to partake in CCS Chapel. Somethings will not prevail....NOT IN OUR YOUTH!

6 comments:

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

I'm widja....

Misti Ferguson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misti Ferguson said...

Thank you Sis. Smith! Young people are being bombarded by voices from every direction and they are looking for a clear voice....I'm thankful there are clear voices at CUPC!
Sorry about the delete! I had a misspelled word!

Carrie said...

I knew it was God that you received it first and were able to warn and protect. I am thankful that in chapel the sweet presence of the Holy Ghost came to confirm and encourage.

As parents of 3 boys, Joel & I are thankful that you & Bro. Smith love our youth and want them to make it to Heaven too.

I appreciate your sensitivity. Thank you.

Trent Smith said...

good stuff

Anonymous said...

I am just wondering...How is the girl that sent this aweful text... maybe it was no accident that she sent it to you... a cry for help maybe? You state that you prayed "about" the girl what about for her? Youth cry for help with out ever asking directly...
-Once a youth pastor-