Monday, February 9, 2009

Let's Make It A Week Rather Than A Day!

Saturday is Valentine's Day. However, why don't we take this entire week to show gratitude and admiration to those we love. Why don't we reach beyond simply expressing our love and appreciation to our 'valentine'? Let's express APPRECIATION to others, too. What are some ways we can show appreciation? Of late I have endeavored to show CARE but what about APPRECIATION? Generally in a church setting CARE is offered to someone with a need or someone new to the assembly. What about showing appreciation to someone who may not necessarily need care?

I have purposed that this entire week will be Valentine's for me. I'm sure my sweetheart and I will enjoy a nice Valentine's Day but prior to that I intend to show appreciation to others. Often I fail to express appreciation to those who do everything right, work the hardest, or may be the closest to us. I don't want to take people for granted.

Last week Kent and I spent some time talking about how important our relationship is to each of us. How that though life gets busy we always want to spend time together. Oh we work at the office together every day but we were talking about being together and having each other’s undivided attention. Often we get busy and just need to slow down for 'us'. Though we didn't slow down for us a date or special time together we did slow down to share the little things that mean so much to us. I wonder if we think about our other relationships and the meaningful things in each of them if they too would be strengthened.

I hope rather than celebrating Valentine's Day we can celebrate all week. I have invited my sisters, Vicki and Kristi, to a Valentine’s afternoon later in the week. I hope to treat both of them to yummy cupcakes. Check out Charming Hospitality. You may want to enjoy a cupcake, too. Happy Valentine's week!!!!

PS I wrote this blog this morning but decided to wait and post it tonight. Let me share a few events of my day. Around lunch time a precious saint came to the office with a most beautiful long stem flower and a card addressed to Pastor & Mrs. Smith and family. The card was an appreciation card. Maria wrote kind words expressing her appreciation for our family. This afternoon I received two cards in the mail. One was from someone who reads my blogs. Sue sent a beautiful card to express her appreciation for my writings. The other card was a beautiful card of thanks and appreciation for the way that we have loved a church family. Tammy wrote some very heartfelt words to our family. I have been totally blown away today because the VERY thing I felt impressed to do for others this week was first done for me. Friends, when you commit your works to God you can never out give Him. I sit here in my home feeling blessed. Redonia and Bishop are playing with one another. Kent is snoring in his recliner! I have been blessed by friends today, too.

1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

I'm with you. I'm celebrating this week as Valentine's Week (forget making it only one day). In fact, it might suit me to make it "Heart" Year. We can all use a little Love.