Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fall, Fabulous, Fun

Today CUPC enjoyed a most fabulous fall social at 7 Acre Wood Park. What an easy and fun time this pastor’s wife had! This year I decided to host the annual event and not expect much from any of our sweet saints. Guess what??? I achieved my goal. The church paid for everything even without an offering! Ha

Months back I began working on this adventure. Looking for a perfect facility for fun for all ages (toddlers - grandparents). What a chore that was! 7 Acre Wood seemed the perfect place. I negotiated the price, secured the location, and gave the rest to Deadra. She advertised the day and helped make lists for me. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and got ready for today. This morning Kent and I made lemonade and tea for the igloos. Gallons of drink I might add. Yes my floor got sticky! Trent and Calah met us at the park to set up. Three ladies joined me in bringing cakes for the adults.
We had a bonfire and roasted wieners and marshmallows. The kids romped and played with animals, playground equipment, all kinds of ball, lil racers, putt-putt, and who knows what else they got into. We had pony rides for the little ones. The adolescents, youth and even adults enjoyed riding the zip line. Kent was hilarious on the zip line. He is such a sport. 7 Acre Wood has a huge hammock. Trent and Calah loved it. At one time my kids and all their cousins who were present were on the hammock. Near the end of the day the men and boys played tackle football. Yesterday like a big dummy I bought Kent an expensive pair of casual pants to wear today. He took a tumble or a tackle and rolled in a pile of ashes. He thought it was so cute! The men will be sore and achy tomorrow. The 45 and older men spent lots of time on the ground. I think they weren’t keeping score except for how many times they could get tackled. After everyone left we finished the clean up and pack up. Regardless how simple a project putting everything up at the end of a fun day is work. Once the dishes were washed, paper goods sorted, igloos washed and stored I still had my sticky floor. Why didn’t a fairy come and clean while I was gone? Before I could rest I had to tackle the broom and the mop. Now, here I sit thinking about our successful day. We had a new convert family join the fun as well as a few other newcomers to CUPC. Integrating new people requires a little work. I’m glad this fun day allowed for all our new people to mix and mingle while having fun with their families.

4 comments:

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Yes! It was a wonderful time for all. Big hit! We need to do it again soon....thanks for all your hard work to help us have a such a fun day.

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

I am still trying to figure out if the pastor tackled the stump or did the stump tackle the pastor........

Paula said...

Sounds like a fun day to me!

Karen J. Hopper said...

What fun. Togetherness in ways like this help build a strong church. Your church is blessed because of your caring.