Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Busy but Thankful

Ever noticed when you need lots of time you tend to be pushed for it? Oh, well just the life of Kent and Tracie Smith. We are good and seem to function in our crazy world.

Yesterday we knew we had several challenges ahead of us. Did we reach them all? No... This is just a little glimpse of how you know things may get crazy:

We both had appointments for x-rays at River Oaks Imaging. Just before leaving the house an appointment clerk called to inform us that our appointments didn't allow enough time for all the doctor ordered. She rescheduled Kent's for the morning and left mine for the afternoon. She kept insisting that we must be there 30 minutes early to fill out paperwork. River Oaks boasts they accept walk-ins so I decided when we arrived with Kent I would see if they could 'work me in'. When I signed Kent in I asked if they could do my imaging, too. Of course they would be happy to reported the receptionist. Well after 50 minutes we still weren't given the 'paper work'. There were only 4 or 5 people waiting in the large waiting room. Finally someone arriving after us was given her chart to fill out. The staff was enjoying visiting a little too much. Finally, Kent went and asked about the 'paper work' that we arrived 30 minutes early to complete. He was told they were really busy! lol After a few more minutes Kent went back to the desk and told the receptionist he was really busy, too and when they had time for us they could call and reschedule. Much to our surprise they still haven't called us! lol

Kent is having some crazy complications which are probably wreck related. He was getting this tingling feeling in his feet now he is getting a shock sensation in his hands. For some reason we were both more sore yesterday than we've been. We hope to get appointements with the chiropractor today.

Today is Conroe Christian School's annual Thanksgiving feast. I was asked to cook the ham. This morning I baked two hams and Kent carved them. No spiral sliced for me. They just aren't as good. I prefer butt portion hams. I bake them slow and on a low temperature. Rather than baking them with brown sugar I poured Dr Pepper over them. They are soooooooo good!!!

Tonight will be our annual Thanksgiving service. Last night Kent and I made a yummy snack that we will distribute to everyone. It's a new fall snack mix recipe that I have recently discovered. It was basically easy. Of course bagging a million (not really!) bags was a little time consuming. This afternoon I will finish by adding fallish ribbons. We love our church family and like to express our love and appreciation to each of them. Tonight we have a great service planned. Trent has found a great moving worship presentation. It is really awesome! Misti Ferguson will sing and we have several testimonials. We endeavor to use people that are not the upfront kind. This year each speaker will do a superb job. This is truly one of my most favorite services of the year. It is so moving to hear others share reasons they are thankful.

Tomorrow we participate in the graveside of 7 day old little Kenzie. We are thankful we had time to love and hold this sweet bundle of joy. Please pray for her Mommy, Daddy and two sisters. I know this will be a most difficult Thanksgiving. Several ladies from our church are going overboard preparing a wonderful meal for this family. We hope to show our thankfulness to them for allowing us to be apart of their lives.

Tomorrow afternoon I will do my traditional baking. Yes, I'm running a little late but that's ok. I know everything will turn out just fine. It always does!

I hope each of you enjoy a blessed thankful week!!!

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Wishing you and yours a Happy Blessed Thanksgiving. Never used Dr Pepper on a ham before but am going to try it. Traditional baking is on my agenda for Wednesday too.

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Well, Tracie, it seems that is just the way things go.....the more one has to do, the more extra things have to be fit in unexpectedly!!! And about the yummy fall mix.....will you share the recipe, please?

I know your service tonight will be most blessed.

Love you!

Rochelle said...

I have heard about using DP before but have never tried it. I'm not cooking a ham this year, but the next time I do I will have to buy some DP!! Have a great rest of the week and Happy Thanksgiving!!