Monday, November 10, 2008

Pride Falls for the Trap of Deception

Pride is the lofty view of one's self or one's own. It's the love of one's own excellence.

Deception is the act of convincing another to believe information that is not true or not the whole truth. In many cases it is difficult to distinguish deception. One of the reasons is a person may be self-deceived.

According to 1 Samuel 15:1 – 31 Saul’s most noticeable flaw was pride. Saul’s pride brought him into deception where he sinned greatly against the Lord. Samuel, God’s prophet and priest, attempted to reason with Saul and help him realize what he had done, but he was unable to break through Saul’s hard heart.

We can so easily be like Saul and be filled with pride that will cause us to be brought under the powers of deception. Family finances, careers, quality of homes, etc create pride issues. Many time parents are filled with pride in regard to their children. They feel if their children do not soar above others then they as parents are failures. Often parents do not tell the truth in regards to their children.

Pride causes us to call things differently than they really are. The scripture clearly warns against such actions in Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

We must remember according to Proverbs 17:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Too often as a pastor’s wife endeavoring to help people I have observed pride only to soon see a fall. I like Samuel have tried to break through the hard hearts of pride by reasoning with people. Pride causes people to make foolish decisions. Pride often causes persons to separate themselves from good and drives them to people who are deceived, false ideas, or even to isolationism.

Pride can be Satan’s way of reaching into our homes, hearts and minds to deceive us. We can be deceived into believing little things. By the 'little things', Satan gets hold and soon pushes bigger buttons. Before long, we are trapped into the deception that all is okay. After all, nothing has happened to us we may rationalize. Satan is a deceiver. Paul says that, “Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.” (2 Corinthians 11:14).

Following is a poem from Beth Moore’s book, Praying God’s Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds.

My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny…because you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment…because you “deserve better than this.”
I cheat you of knowledge…because you already know it all.
I cheat you of healing…because you’re too full of me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness…because you refuse to admit when you’re wrong.
I cheat you of vision…because you’d rather look in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of a genuine friendship…because nobody’s going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love…because real romance demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven…because you refuse to wash another’s feet on earth.
I cheat you of God’s glory…because I convince you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I’m always looking out for you. Untrue.

I’m looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don’t worry…If you stick with me You’ll never know.

This morning I awoke troubled in my spirit knowing pride and deception goes hand in hand. I immediately begin to study the two. Lord, help me to guard my spirit against pride. Help me protect my family. We are living in a day when deception is rampant. It amazes me that people can come to church week after week and be caught up in strong deceptions against basic Biblical truths. It further alarms me that Christians feel they can handle these deceptions and prides so carelessly.

While in prayer this morning before my family even awakened I felt Satan wants to keep planted those who are deceived in our churches. We must not be ignorant to Satan's devices. Those filled with pride can easily find need for associations with the deceived. It is Satan's plan. Often the deceived has much to offer those filled with pride. As parents we must protect our children against the deceived. Our children are given to us as a heritage from the Lord. We must protect ourselves and our spouses against the deceived. Again as pastor's wife, I have witnessed as people are discouraged or struggling they are given more opportunities to become entangled with the deceived. Why does this happen? How does this happen? I truly don't think it is planned but rather something that occurs within the spiritual realm.

Who are we to think we can handle deceptions? What I have witnessed in my life of 45 years is that deception usually handles people rather than people handling deceptions. Just as one lie calls for another and one act of pride calls for another so does deception multiply itself. I believe the deceived seeks to entangle others. The deceived does not remain silent long.

This morning I wage spiritual war against every deception against every pride. It is my goal to see victory in the lives of those I love. I believe that if pride will not humble itself in repentance and deception will not break then God will remove it so others are not consumed by its deadly devices.

I chose to blog this devotion this morning feeling that somewhere there is a reader not even from Conroe who may need definition that I gained through my study this morning. I have ran scriptural references, read devotionals, and prayed. I do not claim to have all knowledge on this subject but rather seek to gain wisdom and understanding. Last night my husband preached a powerful meassage on tolerating the inappropriate. I feel often our churches become paralyzed by deception and pride. God, shed Your light on deception in order to protect Your people.

6 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Excellent Bible lesson for all. Where there are people, there will be pride and deception but we can be overcomers. You've said it all, perfectly.

Susan Hill said...

Thank you, Tracie for so adequately writing on the spirit of the age! We have been overwhelmed and disturbed with exactly what you have talked about. I find it hard to understand how people can count themselves Holy and attend church and even be in positions and the "spirit" of deception be so rampant in their lives! We have identified a spirit in that reaked havoc in our church for several years now as the spirit of deception and God has so graciously helped in that area and after much heartache, revival has come!! Thank you for reminding us that it is not just our church!!! We love you!!!

Lisa said...

Tracie,

Thank you so much for your post. It hit the mark with me. I want to be used by God in whatever way HE chooses, not me.

Please pray that I will allow the will of God to flow in my life.

Thank you and may He bless you richly!

Lisa

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, excellent devotional! We all need to hear that now and then!!! Thanks for sharing with us. Susy

Misti Ferguson said...

Good teaching, Sis. S!
Love you!

Deadra Backhus said...

Good stuff....this should be sent to be published in one of the magazines.....thanks for always telling us how it is....I don't want to be trapped...love you!