Saturday, September 13, 2008

Surving Ike

Ike definitely made his way to our house. Our yard is a mess. Thankfully, we haven't lost any large trees. One of my favorite trees that we planted a few years ago in our front yard is down. We have leaves and limbs covering the yard. We are blessed that thus far it isn't worse. I'm sure most of our church family has down trees, etc. One family called and they have trees in their house. We still have hurricane force winds and can not get out to help or access damage at our church campus.

We are without power, lights, and sewage. My brother brought a generator and we are able to run my refrigerator, deep freeze, and internet. Of course the house is hot and sticky! My parents live next door. All of our family except Micah and Chelsea are staying between the two houses. Additionally we have three friends and Kristi's in-laws. We have all slept on and off through out the night.

The power companies are reporting it will be weeks before many are restored power. Pray we regain sooner than 'weeks'. This storm is huge! We've had 9 inches of rain and it is still raining hard. The Houston metroplex is experiencing major fllooding both from storm surge and now rain. We are still having hurricane strength winds. I'm already tired of Ike!

Keep the citizens of Texas in your pryaers!

6 comments:

Karen Prince said...

Glad to hear y'all are all okay. Hopefully you will have power restored soon and your damage will be minimal. It is headed our way and our lights are already flickering.

Tanya said...

Sis Smith,
We prayed for your safety and for safety of everyone in Houston. We prayed God protects people's houses and the church, of course. It feels really strange to be away from Houston and just follow the events when it seems like we belong there! We love you, Tanya and Eddie

Mandy said...

Glad to hear you all are safe! You have been in my thoughts and prayers since your last post about getting ready for the storm!!! And yes we will pray that power is restored soon!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

You all are in our prayers. All I've ever known is earthquakes, so I can't even comprehend what it would be like to be in the midst of a hurricane. My daughter-in-law has family in Baytown, Houston, east Texas and Louisiana so we are watching very closely. God be with you all.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I've been following "Ike" with you and yours on my mind along with several others that I know personally down in Texas. The pictures look scary to me!
Prayers for all's safety is in order.

Anonymous said...

I was awake all night praying for you all and me! We are still having some small gusts. We had 90 mph winds early this morning. Send Andrew over here...I have water!!!lol...you're welcome to come, too!
Cynthia