Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ike Issues

First off I'm MOST thankful that things aren't worse but can I be human and tell you that I've felt traumatized from Mr. Ike today. In the middle of the hot night another storm swept through. We had lots of lightening, thunder, rain and wind. It did cool things off a bit initially. I slept for about 2 hrs after the storm. I woke up and of course woke Kent up before daylight. I stumbled to the dark bathroom and endeavored to 'freshen' up and dress for the day. I crept out of the house so I wouldn't awake those sleeping in both my den and living room. I found a shovel and hoe and scraped both our sidewalk and Mom's from the mud and debris. Kent followed me with the blower. All the gillions of leaves and debris kept being tracked on my white carpet. I was about to go insane. We can’t vacuum so I’ve been sweeping the downstairs.

Around 8 am we ventured out. Since it's Sunday our first stop was to our dismal church. As Kent opened the door tears burst from my eyes. Of course immediately Kent's eyes were filled with tears. Where are all of our people? Where are all of my outreach kids? Today is a day with no music, sermon, offering, or outreach. How depressing is that for a Pentecostal preacher's wife? I wrote a two page note and taped it to the church doors just in case anyone ventured by. Our next stop was Lowe's. There we found 100's of people in similar circumstances. We were in pursuit of oil and gas for the generator. We did find oil but no gas was to be found in Conroe.

Driving around the city I felt such a weight. I couldn't help but keep crying. We are beginning to get low on food. We have lots of snacks but not food. I guess I didn't think it would be so bad since we are 90 miles from the coast. We have been surviving with no water, electricity, sewage, phones – land or cell, internet and lots of hot humid weather.

Our mayor, Webb Melder, is a personal friend of Kent's. When I heard him speak on KTRH radio as we drove I couldn't help but cry again. Webb told how the citizens of Conroe can expect to be without power for 2 - 3 weeks. He begged people returning to Houston to not exit the interstate in Conroe because we have no fuel, food, etc. Of course, I already knew these things but hearing Webb talk about it disheartened me. I told Kent we could not continue leaving with no water, sewage, electricity, etc.

Kent and I made a new plan of action. We told our house guests that we were closing shop. We asked Trent if we could move to his house rather than them staying with us. I went to Mom's and told her she had to do the same. Her immediately reply was, "I'm not leaving!" Kristi is about to deliver her 3rd child. Kristi and Mickey have water and sewage but no electricity. My brother, Scott, went and bought Mom a generator.

We ran out of fuel for the generator today. We had to drive about 1 hr 30 minutes to College Station to find fuel and a restaurant. It was funny because both my sisters and their families and my parents were in College Station at the same time. When Scott returned to his house, he found a blessing. His power had been restored! Scott worked hard to provide us a generator during the storm and then bought my parents one afterwards when Kent bought ours. I think Scott reaped a huge blessing!!! Scott is a MOST compassionate person. Thanks, Bub, I love you.

Tonight we hooked our generator to Trent and Calah’s house. They have water and sewage. Though we are hot things we will be better! My parents moved to Kristi's. The generator will help Kristi and her family to have a lamp and the refrigerator. We have a fan helping to keep us cool, it isn’t too unbearable. We have a couple of lamps, the refrigerator, the wireless modem for internet, and the Wii hooked to the generator. Atlas we can follow the news, check emails and even I’ve been able to make a couple of phone calls.

Tomorrow we plan to distribute some GOT THIRST WATER. Giving to others always helps my spirits. I need to get my mind off the mess Ike has left us with. Pray we can get back to normal soon. I know our budgets will all be wrecked. Our church people have experienced minimal damage. Roofs messed up by trees, downed power meters, messed up fences, destroyed boats, downed trees, etc are what our people are dealing with. My brother-in-law, Myron, pastors in Dickinson. He had four families suffer a total loss.

I know God is with each of us. Knowing you are praying encourages!

14 comments:

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, how I wish I could help you and so many who are going through really hard times! Yes, the silent church on a Sunday morning is so sad. God will bring you all through this too. He is still in control......and the best I can do tonight is spent time praying for you all. Love you!!

Keith and Carla said...

We're praying that you get your power turned on soon!!! I can't even begin to imagine what you all are going through. Love and prayers...

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

I almost feel guilty that we are escaping all of this while our friends and families are suffering from the heat and distress. I did not realize Myron was in Dickinson.
We've been to the church in Santa Fe, but I didn't know there was one in Dickinson. We are never there at church time and Joy and Eldredge go to Life.
Veda's husband's folks have power and they can go there. Ronna has power and Eldredge and Family and Joy's folks are there.
Landon will stay at the hospital for another week or so until home health care can be established.
The storm threw a kink in that for this week.
Blessings to you and yours. We are praying for relief soon.
Where are Vicki and Tremayne?
Love you

Anonymous said...

We can relate. Our home (interior) is a total loss, as well as 2 vehicles.
We are in CA at my folks. Will return when SW resumes flights to Hobby.

Love

Teresa Bohannon

Karla said...

Tracie, you all are in our thoughts. I know we're not very close - but if you need a place to get away for a few days, CALL ME!!!

Love you, Karla

Linda Elms said...

Tracie, I can't hardly stand it! I feel so bad for you all. I have been thinking and praying for you. I would offer you a place to stay, but since I don't have a house, yet, I don't have any place to offer. :) Love you!

Karen J. Hopper said...

My heart goes out to you all. Will be praying that utilities and a more comfortable standard of life return soon. When you spoke about driving about and crying over your city, I thought how how wonderful to know that we have among us shepherds and their wives who care for us. May God bless you.

Valerie said...

I cannot imagine what you all are going through. I am praying for you. I am thankful that you all are safe and that damage was minimal.

Misti Ferguson said...

Sis. S. - I'm glad you've finally got a generator and moved to Trent and Calah's so you can get water...we have decided to come to Dallas and stay with Kevin and Mel until things get better in Conroe. We love and miss you all and will keep praying for everyone!

Susan Hill said...

Tracie, I'm so glad you have wireless!! I've been worried about you guys but didn't check here assuming you Thank God you made it and your house, too!! Please keep Stephen's Mom and Granny in your prayers! They are off of Belway 8 near Grace Church. They are fine, but as you HOT, running out of supplies, two elders ALONE! Their fence is totally gone, but thankfully alive! There is a hole in the roof where a vent cap flew off, therefore every drop of rain since the main storm, which you know was 8 inches just in a couple of hours yesterday, is finding it's way into her house!! Again, alone and neither one can venture to the roof to cover it. Here we are in California, helpless. Oh, no generator either. I can't stand knowing those two ladies are helpless!!! Stephen is beside himself!! But as I said, they are fine......Thank you, Jesus for keeping them!!

Susan Hill said...

Sorry for the delete! It wasn't allowing the comment, and then all of the sudden in REALLY accepted it!! LOL!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

So glad you are and your family and friends are OK.
You are truly a Women of God. Your tears over your city touch me deeply. It touches the Lord. Weeping for our lost cities is so powerful.
Revival is going to explode in your area Sis Tracie!
The Lord be with you and strengthen you.

Anonymous said...

Tracie,
Euless is always an option also! We have a wonderful quarters at the church if you need them. Also, our home is always open to wonderful friends. Love you!

Veta

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Thanks ladies for all the nice comments and offers to come stay....

But right now Tracie and I are playing Daniel and Betsy Boone...

Pioneers of the Year we are.....

haha


Thanks all for your prayers...

Tracie's husband.....