Monday, September 22, 2008

It's Fall!!

Today is the official first day of Fall. I absolutely love the Autumn season. I decorated our home a little bit early for Fall in honor of Grandparent's Day. However, Ike paid us a visit and things got a little misplaced. Tonight after cooking dinner I decided to clean the house. I dusted, swept, mopped, etc. Then I lit fall scented candles and oil through out the house. Aaahh the house seems so peaceful and ready for Fall.

Had my day not been long I would have prepared a fresh apple or applesauce cake. Maybe tomorrow evening I will prepare apple turnovers. Kent will love one with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Never mind he is diabetic!

Saturday I planted some beautiful golden mums in the large concrete pots at the church. Tonight I placed pumpkins and mums at my front door. I love the gold, orange, yellow, brown and red hues of Fall. There is nothing more warm than this season.

Following are a few things I enjoy in the Fall:

cooler weather
warm colors
muffins and hot chocolate
beef stew, sweet cornbread, & sweet tea
fresh apple cake with walnuts
cinnamon applesauce cake with rich and creamy cream cheese frosting
southern pecan pie
homemade candies
sweaters (when I lived in Alabama)
a clean house with fragrant candles
magazines preparing for Christmas!
Thanksgiving
annual Thanksgiving Service (various people speak. It's always awesome)
hot spiced apple cider
homemade soups and chowders
Starbucks or Panera Bread
leaves falling in the air
leaves turning colors
squirrels gathering acorns
shorter days


I'm sure I've left off some favorites. If you have time post a few of your Fall Favorites in my comments. For those of you who enjoy cooking, I'll try to post a few favorite recipes for Fall soon.
Happy Fall!!!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My goodness. You have truly put me in the mood for the fall season. I love it also. We still have no electricity (Day # 11) and even though it is really starting to get on my nerves reading your blog has reminded me of the warm feeling of home and how much I enjoy the warm smells of a spice cake in the oven and the smell of a sugar cookie candle burning.
Thanks for the reminder.

Sheri Long

Anonymous said...

hey girl - we think so much alike! When my power came on this weekend - I did a major house cleaning to get all the bugs out that came in while the doors were open for air and I had Mark climb up in the attic and pull all my fall decorations down - my house now looks like harvest time is here!! I love this time of year - through December - my favorite!!! Now, I just need to start baking.....
love you!
karen

Karen J. Hopper said...

You really covered almost all the things I enjoy about the Fall, with the addition of a general crispness in the air, the colors in Fall flowers, and misty mornings (happens here).

Karen Prince said...

I love fall too! I've already decorated some. I usually don't decorate so early, but I had some new pretty ceramic pumpkins in rich dark colors, so I couldn't wait. I love baking when the cool crisp weather arrives. Our favorite is pumpkin cake. Yum! So good!
Happy Fall!

Tanya said...

Sis. Smith, I used to feel this way until we moved to Chicago and to us, Fall means that in 2-3 months the weather will be -30, the wind will be blowing us away and that the days will be about 5 hours short. So, until we move back to Texas, we prefer Summers :)
Hope you have a good Fall season though!

Love, Tanya

Valerie said...

I LOVE the fall!! It is probably my favorite season. The pumpkins, the mums, well you listed some of my favorite things!! I am ready!!

I just wondered how Landon is doing? I have been thinking about and praying for him. How is Timo?

Vicki said...

Valerie, this is Timo's mom - I am typing up a new blog on him now ... look at the family blogs listed on Tracie's page - for Vicki

Thanks for caring it means so much to us.

Jana Allard said...

What a great post! I can almost smell all the candles and baked goods. Glad things are returning to normal for you.

Paula said...

Probably one of the things I miss the most while living on the other side of the world - and in the southern hemisphere - is the fall season! I enjoyed it so much last year -- being home for that. Guess I'll just enjoy it through your blog. :)

Carrie Blair said...

My favorite time of the year...