Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Another Happy Birthday

Today is very special for two distinct reasons. First, today is the anniversary date of a wonderful miracle God performed in our family. Second, today marks the arrival of Raymond “Trent” Smith. Having utilized various forms of fertility attempts including surgery and drugs to find none successful then giving birth to a bouncing 7 lb 15.5 oz boy was declared a definite medical miracle.

Kent and I have endeavored to delight ourselves in the Lord. He gave us the desires of our heart. We wanted two or three children and at least one boy and one girl. We know that God planned our children exactly like He knew was best. He fearfully and wonderfully made each of them. Redonia came to us by means of adoption and Trent by birth. However, each birthed in love. It is impossible to separate one from the other even when discussing one.

Trent has always been a very strong child. We knew from very early the call of God was upon him. From the time he was 3 years old he sat on the front seat at church alone and worshipped God. He received the Holy Ghost at the age of 5 at Texas District Crusader’s Camp. At age 7 he told us he felt the call to preach. We were sitting in the car at the intersection of Hwy 105 and Interstate 45. I WILL never forget it. As Trent talked about the call his little voice trembled. He said God called him to be a pastor. Just writing about it today brings tears to my eyes. For fear of misunderstanding let me quickly say he was not a perfect child. We had lots of opportunities for attitude adjustments. Many of them were over him being just a child yet bumping against the lid of adults. This is a principal John Maxwell teaches. Thankfully Kent and I learned the principal during Trent’s junior high years and were able to help guide him to possess his vessel with sanctification and honor. What a job!

Trent won the “Leadership Award” voted on by his teachers each year from 7th grade through 12th grade. One of Trent’s Bible College instructors, Rev. Ron Woffard, told us he felt Trent was very gifted in the area of leadership and purpose. In August Bro. Woffard affirmed some of this to our church. Kent felt it necessary when Trent was a boy to keep him like King Josiah was kept hidden. Young Josiah couldn't do what all the other boys were able to do. Likewise Kent knew Trent would be a king and young kings don't do what other boys do. While most kids would protest to stay the night with friends, go eat after every service with friends, etc Trent stayed near his dad and me. Does he have friends you may ask? Absolutely, in fact Trent is a very popular young man.

Little things mean a lot to me where my children are concerned. I enjoy planning birthday parties, filling stockings, writing notes on lunch napkins, etc. Calah enjoys the little things, too. Trent has married a wonderful wife that loves him. It is very evident that she adores Trent. Last night the five of us celebrated Trent’s birthday at PF Changs, one of his favorites. He LOVES the dinky doozie cookies from the Great American Cookie Company. I bought 6 cookies and arranged them on a plate. Trent ate one before the meal and one after we sang “Happy Birthday”. We found a ‘deal’ at Dillards and was able to buy a beautiful sports coat, pair of pants, and tie for his gift. I love giving gifts! I asked Kent to take the gift to have it wrapped while I went down the mall to pick up birthday cookies. You guessed it! He had the gift wrapped in juvenile birthday wrap of pink, yellow, blue and purple dinosaurs. We enjoyed a big family laugh. Tonight Calah is taking Trent on a very special birthday date. Thanks, Calah, for taking good care of our ‘bubba’. Side note: Calah giggles at all Trent’s nick names. (Baby Boy Bub, Bubby, Bubba, Bub, Little Man, to name a few) Of course we say them with such feeling and she teases Trent with the names, too.

Trent, I know you will venture by my blog today. Let me simply say you are a wonderful man. I love you more than you will ever know. Keep your passion for God. He will give you the desires of your heart. I hope today is one of your happiest birthdays. You will always remain my beautiful baby boy!!!

7 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Happy Birthday Day Trent. I'm partial to birthdays on this day, as it is my granddaughter's too. May the Lord richly bless you - and use you (as I am sure He will).

Yvette said...

Happy Happy Birthday Trent!!!

Love you!!!

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

I was very proud of the pink dinasaur wrapping paper

Susan Hill said...

Happy Birthday from your friends in California, Trent! It's been a while since we've seen you but you and your family have always been dear to us!!

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Happy Birthday, Bub!!!

Carrie Blair said...

I hope you had a happy, happy day today Trent!

Misti Ferguson said...

Happy Birthday Bro. Trent! I know today was a bit of a rough day, but I hope you have a wonderful birthday evening with your sweet bride! Bro. Fergie and I love ya'll!