Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bracing for Ike

Here I sit in my fragrant living room awaiting and dreading Ike. We spent the morning at CUPC preparing the campus for the huge storm that apparently is headed our way. Upon leaving around noon Kent and I met our three children for lunch. Of course we laughed with them. When we are together laughter dominates our time. The kids are so much fun. Redonia still misses her brother oodles and oodles.

After lunch we made the dreaded hurricane stock up trip to the grocery store. Redonia never wants to grocery shop with us but today she decided to go. Between Redonia and her Dad my cart was over flowing and I had to use two carts to get our groceries and supplies to the car. The shelves were almost empty. In fact a couple of items that we planned to purchase was already depleted.

Upon arrival at home I decided to organize my pantry and a couple of cabinets. Kent organized the garage. It's amazing how doing these type chores help me feel better. Then I washed and folded clothes. Kent, Redonia, Lauren & I made a trip to Hastings to pick up some storm reading material. After returning I decided to do some baking. We now have homemade Lemon Cookies, Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Toffee Brickle Bark.

I dimmed the lights, lit some candles, lit the oil burner and decided to sit back and relax. My immediate thoughts were some of my friends at the Texas District Minister's Wives Retreat. I felt teary just thinking I am missing laughter, fun, and soul refreshment with people I love. Diane called today. I enjoyed visiting briefly with her. I did take a minute to email my friend, Sis. Elms. I regret I will miss hearing her speak tomorrow.

My plan for the next couple of days is prepare for holiday baking. Last year I bought about a dozen fabulous holiday cookbooks and magazines. I want to go through each of them and type recipes and save in my recipe documents stored on my laptop. I will also work on a couple of menus for holiday festivites.

Pray for the safety of not only my family and church family but the residents of the Houston metro area as we face Ike. Blessings....

7 comments:

Keith and Carla said...

You are in our prayers! We are not looking forward to Ike either. Of course, we don't get the same effects you do, but we do get a lot of the rain and some wind. I can't decide which is worse, hurricanes or tornadoes? Take care. Love you!

P.S. I have been thinking of the Minister's Wives Retreat also. I'm thinking we really missed out on a great time!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Where have I gone wrong? I thought I was reading a Beverly Lewis novel...everything done and sitting by candle light and having your blog written by 9:45. What a life! It's 1:20 am and I am still washing clothes, trying to get everything ready for the hurricane and I sure don't have anything baked and ready...got bread and water, boiled eggs, canned meat, flashlights, etc. I guess I am just envious of anyone who has a life that appears to be something out of a book! We do all need prayer that the hurricane will lose its strength and will do minimal damage.

Mandy said...

I too will keep you all in my prayers! I have a few family members down that way that keep us praying! We love you all and pray all is well!

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, here we are just waiting for some rain, some flooding, some wind. So, since we are not having our SS teachers' workshop and kids' krusade this weekend (Lynn, Teresa, and Ashley evacuated to CA.), I am getting prepared for my trip to Illinois.....washing, doing some packing and preparing for leaving the guard dog and cats here, maybe doing yardwork if the rain holds off....and then making cards. Actually your baking planning sounds great and please sure if you find some special, new recipes. I am praying for safety for you all. Love, Susy

Karen Prince said...

Tracie,
We are certainly praying. We are not sure what will come Tyler way. We did make a stop to Walmart on the way into work and picked up a few necessities. Stay safe.

Susan Hill said...

Ok, Hurricanes!! And people there talk about our Earthquakes which rarely happen!!! I do not miss the prep time for the hurricanes! Although, we do wish we were there to help my mother-in-law with all of this!!! Our prayers and thoughts are there! Stay High & Dry!!

Linda Elms said...

Tracie, I am praying for you all! I wish you were up here with me. I missed you at the retreat! LOVE YOU!