Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike - Monday

Sunday night we slept decent @ Trent and Calah’s. We are sleeping on a smaller bed and ‘touching’ with no a/c isn’t cool, pardon the pun! This morning Kent walked the school buildings and found minimal roof leaks in the elementary building. After the walk through we distributed approximately 1000 bottles of Got Thirst Water. People were very thankful. Trent met a new family who wants their children to ride the van to church Sunday. Trent felt the family knows something about Pentecost. We found some desperate situations. Persons needing oxygen, ice for insulin, etc. We were able to share our ice but we are unable to help with oxygen. Tomorrow we plan to distribute more water.

Later we went by several of our church families homes. We found trees on some of the roofs. Of course no one has electricity. Though we are experiencing the same problems with Ike we couldn’t help but weep over the devastation our sweet people are facing. Many do not know when they will be allowed to return to work. Of course their incomes will be hindered. Kent has been working on the church budget, too.

This evening we grilled the last of our meat and enjoyed a good dinner with our children and Andrew Koontz. After dinner the kids cleaned the kitchen and Kent and I returned to College Station for fuel. Enroute I texted and called more of our church family that we have been unable to communicate with previously. We went to 3 gas stations before finding fuel. I went to Kroger for groceries. The shelves were bare. I decided to go to HEB. The situation wasn’t much better. I purchased food for a few days. Kent sat in the truck and guarded our fuel while I shopped. It took me a long time and Kent was frustrated. We decided to take a DQ break for a Peanut Buster Parfait for me and a Coffee House stop for Kent. After refreshments, we both felt better and drove the hour and half trip home.

During our return home I began to think about my desperate need for God and my desire for church. After discussing my feelings with Kent we decided to have a Parking Lot Worship Service Wednesday night. Tomorrow we will text our congregation informing them of our plans. We will ask each of them to bring lawn chairs or blankets to sit on. Trent is going to prepare some praise and worship music for a pre-service. He’ll hook up a keyboard and a cordless mic to the generator. We’ll have cold bottle water and enjoy the presence of the Lord in our parking lot. Many are out of town but those who are able to come will certainly enjoy the sweet presence of God. We think the time together with our ‘family’ will be strengthening to each of us. I know God will meet us there!

We’ve been informed that 3 of the Entergy Power Plants in South Texas are down. One apparently became operational today but immediately failed. The projections are it will be a few more days before the plant performs again. Of course this isn’t the only problem hindering electricity. Many power poles and lines are down. Additionally, many transformers blew during Ike.

A couple of gas stations opened in Conroe today. Kent waited in line and right when he got to the pump the police officer closed the station. The lines are several miles long and people are waiting more than an hour. A couple of grocery stores opened today but didn’t have bread or any frozen or refrigerated items. These businesses are operating on generators. People are becoming desperate for supplies. FEMA is distributing ice and water. Again the line is literally miles long.

Thanks to you my friends for praying and your kind words. Thanks to those of you who have offered for us to visit. For now we need to be here. If recovery gets long a night or two may be a blessing!

PS Redonia has taken some good pics and I'll post soon!

8 comments:

Karen Prince said...

I can't imagine living without life's little necessities. I would probably say HUGE necessities if I were in your shoes! Sounds like y'all are doing a wonderful job of being supportive to your community and church family.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Your Parking Lot Worship Service sounds amazing. What a testimony to your city. I am amazed how the Lord can take tragedies and turn them into opportunities. Praying for your lives to get as normal as possible as soon as possible.

Keith and Carla said...

Y'all are always welcome here, if you need to get away! Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Tracie,
What does your community and family need? We have an 18 wheeler ready to bring in supplies if you can help distribute. Let me know.
817-874-9926

Veta

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks, Veta! I spoke with Carl. There may be areas more deservering but we can certainly be a 'hub' to distribute things for you. I think food will be the greatest need in our area. Many are running out of money and aren't able to return to work. Many are without fuel. I'll post of our day later. We've been out and about and returned to Trent's to cook dinner. We are about to make another 'run'. Your generosity means much! Love you....

Valerie said...

Cannot imagine what you are going through, but my heart goes out to you and I am praying for you.

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Sis Tracie, I am praying for you. How I just admire your positive solutions in the midst of your storm. Parking Lot Praise! Perfect!!! Your bed situation made me laugh so hard as you desrcibed it all ever so tactfully. lol We will all be praying for you and your church family. I pray God will pour out His power on your parking lot praise service. Our victory is in our praise! That was our message on Sunday. Love you, Sis Noel

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks at all of the devastaton caused by Ike. Here, near Hemphill, we had very high winds and rain. We have no real damage, personally. My granddaughterin the Houston area is still without power. This all is scary, and I keep reminding myself that God is in control. Sis. Smith, I have been following your blogs since the request for prayer for Timo. I know God answers prayer. Evelyn Bolton