Thursday, October 23, 2008

Virtual Conference

Ladies and Gentlemen, the purpose of this Virtual Conference is to give a forum for you the reading audience to share ideas that Christians can offer hope during the concern or fear our friends, neighbors, and world is currently experiencing.

Many are feeling pressure due to the stock market & economic issues, others due to states considering and/or allowing same sex marriages, then of course the current election is causing quite a concern. Today I heard report of hostility shown to a presidential campaign volunteer. Despair is gripping many people. Some are filled with fear not knowing if they will have retirement funds.

Of late I have had opportunity to reflect the anxiety many feel. I am not a 'stick my head in the sand' type Christian. I am very much exposed to the media. My children and husband love talk show radio. We listen to debates, follow the stock market, read and listen to various news sources, etc. Simply put we try to stay informed. The past few weeks I have had opportunity to talk with people from various walks of life. Some Christian some not. One thing I have noticed from business people to the uneducated fear seems to be attacking our nation. Our nation was formed on strong Christian values that seem to be slipping in both the Democrats and Republicans. I feel the church must offer hope and reassurance to a hurting world.

Our hope and confidence can not be in this world nor its systems. I do believe in the rapture and believe God is soon to come. I know many may laugh and scorn my beliefs but just as it was in the days of Noah so shall it be in the coming of the Lord. I realize some do not believe the story of Noah and hence will doubt the coming of the Lord, too. We can never out argue some people. We should not even try. Some believe in the rapture but debate when Christ will come. Will it be mid, pre, or post tribulation. Frankly, I don't want that debated on this blog. It really doesn't matter to me when He comes rather that I am ready for his return.

I can't help but feel that there are those that we must reach and give assurance. Our hope is in Jesus Christ. I think TODAY is a day Apostolic people can offer comfort to a fearful world. Certainly our world is in need of God. I invite you my readers to leave a scripture, an idea of how we can get hope to our communities, etc. Let's share ideas! What about praying for people's finances? What about some catchy phrase to send mailouts to our communities to draw them to a service where we can offer hope, what about opening our churches for business men/women prayer times.........help me out! I want to hear from you.

Feel free to leave multiple comments. If you do not have a google accout you can post anonymously. When you post anoymously although you have to give your name or email address the post appears anoymous. Hence, please leave your name at the end of your comment.

8 comments:

Sabrina Palmer said...

This is more of an outreach idea, a way to get the church's name in the community and simply show that we aren't sticking our heads in the sand.
I read on a blog of a church who partnered with their local gas station to offer gas 10-20 cents cheaper for a few hour period. The church agreen to pay the extra for anyone who got gas during that time. Meanwhile the members were pumping gas for people, washing windows, passing out cards, and just generally talking with the commuunity. It sounded awesome! And costs a lot less than it sounds. Just think 2500 gallons of gas at a $.20 discount is 125 full tanks or more and only costs the church $500!!
Along these same lines, we could take advantage of the economic situation and gear our outreach toward helping with groceries. Perhaps having the able church members each donate a $10 gift card to wal-mart or a grocery store and canvass the aisles meeting folks and passing them out. Just a few thoughts. It doesn't solve a lot of what we're going through as a nation, but it could get them to open up and be sensitive to God moving on them.

Vicki said...

Tracie - the idea above about the cents off at the gas station is Russell and Elaine Farmer - they do this every year. It cost several $1,000 but is advertising well spent and is giving back to the community.

Stacy said...

Their was a youth group standing out side our Wal-Mart one day and asked if they could buy me and my daughter a coke from the vending machine. I asked them what is the catch. The girl said, "Nothing, just letting people know we love them, with a free drink because the Love of God is Free."
I told my daughter; there is a story there; if you notice that someone had to pay for that drink. Salvation may be free; but Jesus had to pay the price. The drink may be free; but the youth had to pay the price. It is a great way to show the Love of God; but also to show that their are caring people in this world.

Anonymous said...

Some really awesome ideas here! I will put my thinking cap on. I do remember hearing on the news a couple of months back about a church in Katy doing the discounted gasoline. I think the main thing is somehow being able to send out the message that there IS hope, there IS someone who cares and loves them - no matter what. Love you! Sis. Weldon

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

How about some of the folks from Conroe taking some www.GotThirstConroe.com water and passing it out on election day to those leaving the polls.......

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Sounds awesome!!! I like that idea Pastor!

Tracie Smith said...

The Economy Can't Touch This -- The Church!

Advertise with this statement when visitors come don't even mention the economy or government fears but rather have a service planned around hope, worship, & victory....

let members of the congregation share personal stories of victory, faith and miracles...

Anonymous said...

You have a very talented church (so I have heard) and good singers and you could do a singspiration or drama for a (sell tickets) fee and all proceeds could go to help someone who is losing their home or has lost their job (??) Someone who is not a member of your congregation but of your city and it would be a great way to say to your city that you see the people around you that are suffering. Advertize it and open the singing to the public to attend then have prayer for the financial needs and the sick. Rebecca Collins