Monday, October 13, 2008

Enroute 2 Greensboro

After our Sunday evening service Kent and I travelled to Rayne Louisianna which is just west of Lafayette. We finally got to bed around 2 am and were wide awake at 6:00 am. We left Rayne around 7:00 am and travelled west on I-10 to Jacksonville, Florida. Then we travelled east on I-95 to Savannah, Georgia.

We stopped for lunch at a Steak and Shake in Florida. I enjoyed a yummy vanilla malt and a patty melt sandwich. I was good and left off the fries. However, I was BAD the rest of the trip. We were given a HUGE snack basket to enjoy on the trip for pastor appreciation. (Thanks Courtney, Scott, and Bro. Stewart) I love the Tolberone candy.

Tonight we went to the historic district to find the world famous Lady and Son's Restaurant. I love Paula Deen magazines and can't wait to eat there tomorrow. We will arrive at 9:30 am to make our reservation for dinner.

My little monkey, Redonia, is home sick. She has a miagraine. She sounded really rough when I last talked with her. Hopefully she will be ok during the night. A couple of years ago a MRI revealed she had an aneurysm at some point and we didn't know it. Thankfully it formed a balloon and took care of itself. Well, I'm sure God had a little bit to do with it. These miagraines scare me now. Ok if we call to check on her we wake her up and if we don't I worry.....so you get the picture pray for this Mommy.

I'm looking forward to our day tomorrow. Hopefully I'll post some pictures of the southern charm of Savannah. I'm a GRITS and proud of it!!!!!! To all my more westernly friends that stands for 'Girl Raised in the South'.

Speaking of the south. Today I went through numerous Southern Living Magazines and Paula Deen Magazines gathering recipes. I found a great Asiago Cheese Grit recipe to be served with grilled shrimp. Yummmmm I can't wait to prepare it! Gotta love southern grits anyway you prepare them. For breakfast it's with lots of butter and even more SUGAR.

Asiago Grits
2 14 oz cans of chicken broth
3/4 cup uncooked quick grits
4 oz chive & onion cream cheese spread
1/2 cup fresh grated Asiago or Parmesan Cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Bring broth to boil over medium high heat. Whisk in grits. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer stirring occasionally until thickened. Add cheeses and pepper. Stir until melted. Serve with grilled shrimp.

Check back later for more updates on the south. I'm sure my southern accent will return strongly tomorrow as we enjoy this southern town. Kent and my children make fun of the way I just slip back so easily.

2 comments:

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Glad you are having fun! Take lots of pics. Love ya'll!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

My daughter-in-law, a Louisiana native, lost her accent after a few years married to my son (native Californian). Now, she and my two granddaughters (native Californians) spend a month or so in Louisiana and come back with a southern draw. I love it. The "yes madam" and "no madam" are pleasant mannerisms.