Thursday, October 30, 2008

Letters are Important

During our TBC days in one of the Shepherdess Classes either Sis. Ensey or Sis. Keating imparted a bit of wisdom that I have at least partially kept apart of my life. It was suggested that we keep a journal through out our husband's ministry of things we learn from other minister's wives. It was stated some things we learn may be how not to's rather than how to's. I can honestly say though I may not write each of them down I do try to put these how to's into practice these MANY years later. Today a friend, Sharon Chance, taught me something I would like to put into practice or maybe I should say implement more often.

Sharon apparently was a letter writer and even cherished letters given her by others. There was a letter read that was written to one of her dear friends. Aaaaahh how sweet, I thought. Then later in the service I learned that since her death Bro. Chance had a strong urge to go to a box that his sweet bride kept of their love notes apparently even recent letters. When he opened the box there was a new letter still sealed. It was from Sharon to him dated August 13, 2008. She wrote it as if she was already gone. I'm sure knowing he wouldn't find it until she was gone she felt safe to place it in the box. It was so sweet. She thanked him for being the best, taking care of her the best, etc. Later in the service letters were read to her children and church that she wrote prior to her death. These letters were surprises to the recipients. There was a framed letter from Sis. Chance to Bro. Chance on the guest book table. It was a letter thanking him for a trip to Virginia for their 25th wedding anniversary.

Not only did she leave letters to be read after her death to people important she also planned her funeral. It was very special and truly spoke of her. Her girls and daughters-in-law carried pink long stem roses with pink ribbons. The speakers wore pink ribbon lapel pins. The choir and church congregation wore simple bink ribbon loops. Sharon fought a courageous fight against breast cancer.

I couldn't help but weep when we entered Hope Center and saw Sis. Irma, Bro. Chance's secretary, whom we've known for many years. Sis. Irma was so broken. Of course the Chance family was very sad, too. Bro. Chance was the most broken or sad man I have ever witnessed. It wasn't because of a loud display of emotion but rather a very quite spirit but yet such a look of anquish and loss was on his countenance. His body seemed to be physically broken. Please join us in prayer for Bro. Chance. I can't even imagine how he must surely feel tonight.

Following is the order of the Memorial Service for Sharon Elaine Chance

Hope Center Choir "Stand"
Remarks & Obituary Mike Tuminello
Remarks Terry Creekmore
Choir "Total Praise"
Remarks & Letters Anthony Mangun
Choir "For Every Mountain"
Remarks Ron Libby
Choir "Tis So Sweet"
Slide Show
Choir "I Just Can't Give Up Now"
Prayer, Elder Bro. Chance (Bro. Mike Chance's Father)


Tonight I sit in my living room near my husband. I am thankful for our time together. I want to make sure he knows every day my love and admiration for him. I also want to make sure I leave memories for both he and my children. Life is so fragile. Thank you, Sharon, for teaching one more lesson even during and after your death. I will always remember you!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have prayed for Mamaw and Papaw Chance so much this week as well. They thought of Sis. Sharon as one of their own, not just an in law. God be with the entire Chance family and Sis. Sharon's family (I don't know her maiden name). If any of you read this - know you are prayed for!

Unknown said...

oops this is Vicki posting.

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, your blog is beautiful and a great tribute to a wonderful lady. Yes, our letters are so important.....while we love to email and it is so easy, I think we need to be reminded to send some letters and write some notes as well. Thanks for sharing. I am praying for the whole Chance family and for the church. I have a dear friend that attends Hope Center. We shared the last days of one of our dear friends when she suffered and then died from cancer....that was back in the late 80's or early 90's. I know Barbara must be hurting now too....so I am especially praying for her too. Thanks again for your words. Love you!!!

Linda Elms said...

Thank you for sharing the service with us. My heart goes out to Sis. Chance family, friends, and church. They are all in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Tracie, Thanks you for the details on Sharon's service. I tried very hard to make it there, but was unable too. I loved her dearly.My heart is just torn and so many memories are coming back. I sent you a e-mail and am not sure rather you recieved it or not last week. I also told Rex to have Angie look at your site. It is wonderful. Gail Cormier Michalsky

Tracie Smith said...

Hello, Gail! It's been ages....I did not receive an email from you. My email address is traciesmith@conroeupc.org Please try again. I would leave to hear from you. Thanks for sending Rex & Angie my way, too. I would love to see them. It's been two years, I guess. That's just too long to not see a cousin. Life just gets too busy. Please stop by often!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

Sorry didn't get to speak to you at the service. Bro. Mooney had to fy out and we sped back home because we had to fly out early Thursday morning to PA. We flew in Mon night and helped Ronna with Landon's apartment Tuesday and drove to San Antonio early Wed. Love you..