Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Quaint, Southern, Food, Fun, & Charm - Savannah

Today we enjoyed a wonderful day. It started out with breafast @ the hotel. Then we went to the Lady & Son's Restaurant to make dinner reservations. We enjoyed a wonderful trolley tour. The weather was perfect today. After our tour we had a delicious seafood lunch on the river at the Shrimp Factory. We watched as river boats and ships moved about the river. Savannah is home to the 2nd largest port in the United States. After lunch we spent some time browsing some quaint boutiques and shops. I collect old world style Christmas ornaments and found a beautiful Georgia peach.

Before going lighthouse hunting we found a quaint cupcake shoppe! (Gotta love the TomTom. Hey it can make a vacation stress free.) Ok the cupcakes were to die for. I chose an old fashioned cupcake with rich buttercream icing. The cream soda was pretty awesome, too!

Tybee Island is a beautiful yet quaint island. The homes are really southern in charm, too. We saw two lighthouses. I had to take my shoes off and walk in the sand. Then the little girl erupted and I found a stick to draw in the sand.

We returned to the hotel for about an hour to refresh before dinner. We left a little early for a SteinMart break!!!! I didn't buy anything but I can't let one pass me buy either. Today I was in a laid back browsing mood and not really after serious shopping.

Ok for the highlight of the trip......The Lady and Son's Restaurant. I LOVE Paula Deen's magazines. There is abosolutely nothing I enjoy more than southern, food, charm, and family life. Paual is the epitome of my southern roots. The restaurant boasts a wonderful buffet. Of course it isn't your normal gross buffet. I can't stand them! This one is well kept. In fact the food is brought out in small portions. While we were there several things appeared and disappeared. We all ate toooooooo much. Thanks Mom and Popsie for the meal!! (It was for Pastor's Appreciation!!!!) Mom and I both are good southern cooks but this was special having it at a restaurant and not cooking it ourselves. It smoked Cracker Barrel....I bought 2 more magazines in the gift shop. One is a 2006 Christmas edition and the other a 2008 Christmas edition.

Tomorrow we plan to sleep in a little and slowly make our way to Greensboro.....

Enjoy the slide show.....

4 comments:

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Looks like fun!!! Don't eat too much...oh...and I don't believe you left Stein Mart without anything...are you okay...? LOL

Trent Smith said...

I know dad isn't being a goob and taking picks with old magazine ladies.... He is officially embarrassing. Miss you and pop. We been chillin w/ Myron and Kim so we aint missing ya too bad though ha

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

It takes a real man to take a pic with the paper cutout of a middle aged magazine lady and still maintain his manhood!!!

Anonymous said...

looks like you guys are having a great time! I am so glad that Dad and Shirley got to go to conference........I wish I was eating all that good food with you guys - Paula Deen is one of my favorites!!!! she doesn't make anything without a stick of butter.....btw - Kent - great picture of you with Ms. Deen....LOL