Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday...the First Day Off

I arose early and spent some time cleaning & blogging. Soon after Redonia came bolting downstairs crying. I didn't even realize she was awake. She insisted I needed to get her a doctor's appointment immediately. I called and was given a 2:15 appointment. Soon Redonia's sniffles became quite loud. She was in major pain. Her left ear was hurting and she lost all hearing in the ear. After a repeated call to the doctor's office I was told to take her in immediately. Poor Redonia when she's sick she does it up good. She has a cyst in her left ear. She has been in pain most of the day.

Tonight Redonia grew concerned about our Christmas traditions. She and Trent have always believed in Santa. Each year they unwrap 2 gifts each. One is from their Dad and me and the other is their exchange between themselves. The gift from Kent and me is ALWAYS pajamas. Afer opening the gifts we normally play a game or sit around laughing with one another. On Christmas morning our rule is that the kids can not come downstairs until they let us know. The camera is ready and they walk down the stairs together -usually hand in hand. Their Santa gifts are never wrapped. Santa just places them under the tree. (A tradition we had growing up, too!) Redonia asked when did I plan to give them their 'jammies'. I explained Trent and Calah wouldn't be getting 'jammies'. The tears began to roll....She said that wasn't fair because Trent has always gotten jammies. She felt like he would be upset and regardless she would be 'cause he wouldn't be here to share in our time.

We discussed this year we would have to make some changes. We are blessed to have Trent and Calah for some of Christmas Day. However, we will not spend Christmas Eve with them. Christmas Eve has always been our fun time. This didn't help Redonia's feelings. Kent and I told her she would be getting 'more' than the married kids. We explained her gifts would all be wrapped this year. She wasn't happy! We told her she would get her 'extra' gifts on Christmas Eve after Popsie's birthday party. Then Trent and Calah are coming over Christmas morning and we will exchange with them. We told her she will get her 2 big gifts when Trent and Calah receive their gifts. Of course we will do stockings then, too. This didn't help her feelings.

Redonia immediately called Trent and asked him to come over tomorrow night. Trent has plans and that schedule wouldn't work. The only night they could come over was tonight. So you guessed it... off I went to buy pajamas for Calah and Trent. Previously I purchased the game, Imaginiff, for the kids. Calah, is still getting acquainted with our quirky ways. They came over to open their Christmas Eve traditional gift. Redonia always plays Santa. When she handed Trent the gift he said, "this better be my pajamas or I'm going to be sad!" lol Thank God for Redonia prompting me to do the jamie thing or I would have had a sad married boy! lol Then the three of them opened their shared gift, Imaginiff.

Trent and Redonia immediately changed into their jamies, a family tradition. Then the five of us played Imginiff. Although we were all a little tired and Redonia still sick but we still had a fun time laughing together. Though our traditions are having to change we still plan to hang on to as many of them as possible. I now see the traditions are important to Redonia and Trent, too.

All and all I enjoyed our first day of Christmas break....



Merry Christmas

8 comments:

Karen Prince said...

The things we do to please our kids! LOL!

Vicki said...

funny, I had to go get my married kids jammies as well. Lauren told me, mother, Micah has to have new pj's for Christmas. So Christmas Eve - late, after we finish Popsie's b/day then Christmas at my in-laws we will come home and open jammies (but OOPS, I haven't bought Lauren's yet - yikes I just remembered that)

Keith and Carla said...

I love the idea of the "jammie" tradition!

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a wonderful tradition in "jamies". Enjoy your Christmas break...blessings to you and yours.

Amy said...

awweeee that makes me want jammies too... :) Yay Merry Christmas!!! I am loving this week of Christmas break...

Vicki said...

I think we both can thank our parents for that tradition. I don't EVER remember a Christmas, growing up, that we didn't get new pj's or gowns. Just like at Valentines we always got 'Her Majesty' (a brand) undies, slips, and all =) I love carrying on the traditions and adding our own family traditions.

Anonymous said...

OH how well do I remember buying the little red gowns and robe to match and even little nylon slippers - the brand Shiree (sp) or those also came in Her Majesty brand and red flannel or plaid pj's for Scott. I know your dad's sister's did the same for their kids, Aunt Sandra and Aunt Jane for sure I remember them doing it as A Jane worked for Sokol's in Bessemer, AL and that is where I bought yalls from......too funny how we just had to do that. Oh my word the list could go on and on and I miss that now that I am older and you kids are grown but I am glad that even some of the silly things yall are now doing for the grand's...
and it is neat how different families celebrate in different ways or the traditions that they have. I just wished we would have had digital cameras way back then.
So many good things that happened we only have the memories. Not many pictures. OH well the big day is almost here, in fact in our family/Patrick/Thomas it starts tomorrow with my wonderful husband and such a wonderful dad, step dad and POPSIE as tomorrow is his 74th birthday..........WOW he is still such a good looking guy to be that age. We all love him so much and I am thankful every day for him and I know his kids love him and so do mine!!!!

love, Mom/Shirley

Anonymous said...

Oh my...Trent is looking so much like his Dad! WOW! I loved this story. Thank you for sharing. Love you.