Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Compassionate People Exist

CUPC is in full swing of our Toy Drive for 30 outreach children. All the gifts have either been bought or have been spoken for. What a miracle!!!! I'm glad to be apart of a compassionate church.

Today I decided that no Christmas is complete without stockings. My kids love digging thru their stockings. I want all my outreach babies to have that same fun experience. I also decided that every CUPC child present on Sunday, December 21st will receive a stocking. Of course this will be alot of stockings!!!

Dollar Tree seemed to be a logical starting place to find stockings and filler. I found the cutest stockings and lots of great loot. All my babies are going to LOVE their stockings. I had a shopping cart full and even had to carry some items. Once I was @ the checkout I had an awesome experience.

Shopper: (she softly smiled) Are you a school teacher
Me: No Mam, I'm a pastor's wife
Shopper: That's a much higher calling of career
Me: Well, thank you I feel honored to be a pastor's wife
Shopper: I assumed you were a teacher with all the stockings, candy & toys you are buying
Me: I am purchasing these for a Toy Drive and for all the children of our church
Shopper: So they are for needy children primarily
Me: Yes they are. They are for some children that we take to church every Sunday.
Shopper: (with tears in her eyes) What a worthy project! I pray God blesses you.
Me: Thank you. I'm just blessed to know these children and their families
Shopper: (with tears in her eyes) Will you pray for me the next few weeks?
Me: I certainly will.
Shopper: My grandson passed away about 3 months ago.
Me: (with tears in my eyes) I'm so sorry. I sincerely will pray for you.
Shopper: (to cashier who is now finished with shoppers transaction and has begun scanning my approximate 150 items) I would like for you to ring these items for me. (shopper counts out 20 items of mine)
Me: How kind and thoughtful of you!
Shopper: I can't buy toys or gifts for my grandson so I would like to do this for your special children in his honor.
Me: (with tears streaming) Mam I pray God will comfort you during this season. I know your kindness today will never take the place of buying for your Grandson but I know that God will comfort you.
Shopper: Where is your church located?
Me: (gave her directions & address) We are giving the toys and stockings on Sunday, December 21st @ 10 am. I will be most honored if you can attend.

I am embarrased to say that I didn't give my name nor get the name of this sweet lady. The conversation transpired so quickly. It was so emotional that I did not operate as I normally do.

Christmas is about God, friends, family, & food BUT I KNOW Christmas is about sharing with others. THANK YOU my sweet Dollar Tree shopping buddy!

Though I'm sharing with all my 'little crazies' my Dollar Tree friend has made me want to give to someone I don't know. Someone whom I may never see again. Someone I can simply share the love of Jesus Christ with.

Thank God for compassionate people....I want to become one!

11 comments:

Linda Weldon said...

Absolutely INCREDIBLE!! What an awesome God we serve! I KNOW He is going to touch that lady and bless her. I pray she makes it to service! Love you! Sis. Weldon

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Amazing! Awesome! Incredible! What a great day!! I pray God gives you more days like today for all your compassion, love, & efforts for all your kiddos. Love you!!!

Jana McVay said...

I am sitting here, tears in my eyes, now determined to bless someone whom I, too, may not know or ever see again. Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with your blog followers!!

I will be praying that your Dollar Tree friend does indeed show up on that Sunday. I will pray that she meets the ONE who can help her through this sad time of loss and bless her with HOPE of life eternal.

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, what a beautiful experience. I know the Lord will bless this Dollar Tree shopper and I will pray that she decides to attend the service when you have Christmas with your children.

Love you!!!!

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

What a beautiful story!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Smith,
Quite some time ago you posted a question of how to reach out to the community during these stressful economic times. Your life demonstrates exactly that! You are reaching to your outreach babies, and in turn your Dollar Tree friend was touched. It is the one on one impact that will change our world. Thank you for sharing and being such a wonderful example.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Loved your compassionate post and its focus on acts of kindness. May your Dollar Tree friend be blessed, and you too.

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Oh Sis Tracie,
That made me cry at my desk and remember how hungry this world is for Jesus and a kind word from the people of God. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas.. Sis Noel

Belinda said...

OK tears are flowing down my cheeks that was so awesome. I JUST LUV CHRISTMAS....it brings out the best in all of us. Luv ya

Keith and Carla said...

Wonderful!!!! I just love it when God places these kind of opportunities in our paths.

Cylinda Nickel said...

That is awesome!