Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fun, Food, Friends, Ornaments, Cold - Brrrrr

Last evening was our annual Ladies Christmas Party. I enjoy hosting this party at our home. Some years I have a few ladies help by bringing a dessert. This year I chose to do it myself. Well, doing it myself never really means doing it by myself. It just means I'll get it done! lol

Sidenote: Thanks Deadra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What would I do without you??? Deadra, is our secretary who just turned 30 something! lol She is always eager to learn. I love working in the kitchen with her. Last week she told me she wanted to help with the Christmas Party. Of course she didn't have to say that because her job duty for the day was going to be 'help me'! ha She went on to say she wanted me to teach her how to make some fun things. I hope despite the great fatigue she left with a few cooking tricks and yummy recipes. I've posted our recipes on Charming Hospitality Deadra will probably laugh when she reads the recipes. I don't cook with recipes. I just would say throw in a handful of this or that. Then she'd stir and I'd say, "Oh throw in a little bit more!"

I better also say thanks to Trent and Kent or I'll be in trouble. Kent washed the dog while Trent vacuumed. Thanks Baby Boy Bub!!!!! :) The boys also set up 'all' and I do mean 'all' the small tables and chairs. Everybody had to have a seat!!!

Ok, on with the party details....it was a blast! All the ladies seemed to love the food, drinks, and each other. Annually we do an ornament exchange. This year's exchange was fun. The ladies bring an unwrapped ornament and hang it on the 4 ft prelit tree. We do the Chinese Gift Exchange. We had some fun thieves! lol

We had several guests. One of them is a precious 93 year old lady. I met Mrs. Ray when we first moved to Conroe. She is a very elegant 93 year old lady. She enjoyed the party and even walked around the crowded living area on her cane in search of a 'perfect ornament'. Too cute!!! Thanks Marie Sutton for bringing your neighbor!

After the party was over Glenda Martin (my personal duck!!!) and Vicki helped with the clean up. Of course Kent and Deadra couldn't get out of the clean up. I wanted to immediately post my thoughts of the evening but was much too tired.

At the beginning of the party I challenged the ladies to forget their stresses and enjoy the evening. Thank you girls for doing just that! My two girls were both very sick. I insisted on both of them resting yesterday rather than helping. Calah and Redonia, I hope today you will both feel better. Calah was at the party with fever.

I know there were specific needs in the crowd. Normally in closing we pray for the needs of our friends. Last night I felt to ignore the needs. God knows them anyway. I didn't want to dwell on any problems. I know that laughter and joy is a good medicine. I hope all the girls left last evening with a renewed Spirit of God dwelling in them and a joyful attitude of Christmas.

Please do check out the delicious recipes. Nothing pleases me more than to share with others. This is my gift to each of you.....

Oh! I strive to be a charming hostess. I've never verbalized that but I just never want to lose my deep southern roots I gained in Alabama. Last night as the guests were leaving and each said their good byes I got one HUGE compliment. Mrs. Ray hugged me and wished me Merry Christmas. She told me how lovely she thought my home was BUT THEN....she said, "Honey, you are the most charming hostess I've ever seen." She went on to say when her husband was alive how they hosted dinner parties and enjoyed going to them. She said this was the most charming! Aaaaaaahhhhhh I didn't say that to brag on myself but it did bring tears to my eyes. I do want to be charming and everyone to feel like my home is their home! My sister brought me a sweet and I do mean sweet hostess gift. It was so pretty. She brought a fluffy red stocking and placed in it a bag of cordial chocolate kisses ( I love them!!!). She placed bright lime green and red printed tissue paper coming from the top. Vicki's a southern girl, too!

Ok, if you haven't already you have to have someone over to your home. Make a pot of soup or chili. Mix in a few desserts and you'll have a blast. You'll be better for sharing with others!!!

Merry Merry Happy Happy Christmas!!!! Can you tell I'm in the Christmas spirit???? Now I need to buy a few more gifts....

8 comments:

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Last night was perect, fun and lots of good food. Thank you for allowing me to help. I love it! Helping you DOES teach me alot, even thought I messed up several times setting the tables correctly....I should know by now! You ARE the perfect hostess! Love you more than all the yummy food you can cook!

Anonymous said...

I already put a comment on the other blog but I will say again...
it was so much fun and the food was AWESOME. I loved it all but the soup was the BEST.......Can't wait to make it for our BIG bunch.
As long as my girls live my mom will live as they already are such great hostess and can cook the best. Mother didn't always care for the fancy things in life but she knew how to put together an awesome meal and was a wonderful hostess and the more people at mom and dad's house the merrier especially all the family and the ministry was always welcome and she had a dessert every day to serve.......
Tracie, you are becoming your Maw Maw.......lol

love, Mom/Shirley

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Speaking of Mama Ingram....

Yesterday I thought she had come back to life....

Everytime I had to walk through the kitchen door I thought it was her that was stooped over rumaging around in the fridge.....

I rememer how she used to stoop into the fridge and hold her skirts between her knees with one hand....

Mamaw lives on.....

Susan Hill said...

Tracie!! I'm so glad yours turned out so well!!! I have printed several of your recipes the last few weeks! Thank you so much for sharing! I need a gave or two for the ladies party and church dinner! Have any great ideas? Email me at shill64@kermantel.net if you do!! You are just the information lady!!! Thanks again! Love ya girlie!!

Karen Kay said...

can't wait to try that soup that you made - sounds delicious!!! You are my "cooking" soul mate....love all your ideas. I'm making some of your dessert candies for my neighbors this year....can't wait...I'm making the oreo cookie ones....yummy!

love you
karen

KAN said...

And a GRAND TIME was had by all. As ALWAYS, Sis Smith outdid herself. Everything in her home was just perfect for the occasion.

Thanks to my Pastor's wife for once again hosting this "get-together". It means so much to so many of the ladies to be able to attend this fundtion.

Thanks to all of "Santa's helpers" who helped make the even possible. You're priceless.

Good food, fellowship, and fun -- a perfect combination.

Anonymous said...

Sis. Newton you were a great greeter at the door.........
I was afraid I was going to have to do that when you stepped up to help in that way.......You are always so bubbly so I am sure every one that came through the door felt welcome. My daughter couldn't do that and be in the kitchen at the same time.
Love you......SP

Manumanums said...

Hi: Could you please explain your Chinese Gift Exchange? We do a Yankee Swap here...just wondering if it is similar.

Thanks,
Carolyn