Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Holiness ... Faithfulness is What I Long For

Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what
You want from me

Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what
You want from me

So, take my heart and form it
Take my mind and transform it
Take my will and conform it
To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord

Faithfulness, faithfulness is what I long for
Faithfulness is what I need
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what
You want from me

Brokenness, brokenness is what I long for
Brokenness is what I need
Brokenness, brokenness is what You want from me

Today this song has rolled through my thoughts several times. I spoke to our choir tonight on the subject of holiness. Our church has experienced GREAT victories of late. I want the victories to continue. I KNOW Satan wants to destroy holiness at any cost.

As a pastor's wife I find holiness harder to address than I did 5, 10, and 15 years ago. We are living in such an ungodly time. Society, government, advertisements, media, etc are against the holy nature of God. Unfortunately though I profess to be a holy person my conforming to society's thinking is probably an easy way for Satan to trip me. The scripture clearly states that the older should teach the younger. If the older becomes tolerable then who will teach. We are living in a day that we feel we must be broad and opened minded.

While I NEVER want to become judgemental I do want to make sure I live and fulfill scripture. Tonight I told our choir NEVER will I run around with a yardstick or ruler to judge nor do I ever want any of them to ask me if something is ok. Rather I want our choir members to ensure holiness is a matter of their hearts.

As I have hummed the song I realized an important thread. The song began with holiness then moved to faithfulness. Holiness enforces faithfulness. A lack of holiness uproots faithfulness. The faithfulness does not stay directed towards our spiritual relationship with God but rather moves into our physical relationships.

Divorce has touched our church too often. My thoughts have swiftly run to if holiness was apart of every heart and life would a lack of faithfulness occurred? God help me to be holy and faithful. Help me God to proclaim holiness and faithfulness to You.

Forgive me God for being a pastor's wife that has been hindered by the world's view and even at times too soft in pointing people to a stronger life of holiness. I KNOW if we have MORE of You in our lives we will be more faithful in serving You and our relationships.

4 comments:

Linda Weldon said...

I am so thankful we have a Pastor and Pastor's wife who still teach holiness. Thank you, Sis. Smith for your courage last night in addressing sensitive issues in order to help us live a holy life that is pleasing to the Lord. I greatly admire you and Bro. Smith and all that you stand for, especially in these days when it is not the "popular" thing to do. It grieves me when I see the direction so many of our UPC churches are taking. I can't thank you both enough for your sensitive leading of our church. Thank you for continuing to stand for what is right and holy. Thank you for loving all of us so much that you risk the criticism that your stand might bring. Thank you both for doing all that you can in order to ensure we make it to heaven. I want to make it to heaven and I want to take as many with me as I possibly can. I love you TONS! Sis. Weldon

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Awesome post! Sis. Weldon said it so perfect. I ditto her comments 100 %. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Love you bunches!

Carrie said...

Yes, thank you for last night. Thank you for reminding me that we are to be separate from the world. I appreciate the burden you and Bro. Smith have to remain holy and persue more of His holiness. As a mother of boys I am so thankful that holiness is still an issue that is addressed as important to mantain a virtuous life style. Thank you again Sis. Smith it uplifted my faith to know that my family is in a church that still values holiness on the inside and out...I love you.

Misti Ferguson said...

Awesome post! I'm so thankful that you and Bro. Smith still believe it and teach it like you did in the beginning! Love you!