Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Emotional Shopping Trip

Today I went to a store that I really do not enjoy shopping. Not for any reason other than it's hard to find a parking space, the aisles are crowded with people, and many of the shoppers there are unmannerly. I know each of these are quite selfish reasons. To the ladies from CUPC reading this post they know I am referring to Wal-Mart.

This morning I woke up excited to serve the Lord. This is the day I planned to shop for items to fill Easter goody bags for the approximately 60 homeless persons. CUPC has fed lunch to these persons the past few Sundays.

Kent and I rode together this morning. Before shopping we had to go by the church. As we pulled into the parking lot I saw Joseph smiling with two men. Trent had already baptized the two men. One of them is a man that has visited CUPC numerous times over the past few years. Wow!!!

I spent a few minutes in the office with Deadra before heading to play the Easter Bunny. As I picked up my first items and placed them in the shopping cart tears filled my eyes. Where did the tears come from? I couldn't stop crying. I cried the entire time I filled my cart.

A neighboring minister came up to me and said, "I came to tease you but Sis. Smith it looks like you may be carrying the stresses of a Pastor's wife today." I quickly responded, "No, today I'm carrying the JOYS of a Pastor's wife." I pointed to my cart and told him what I was doing. He smiled softly and said a few kind words to me.

As I pulled back into church I didn't notice Joseph's vehicle. I rushed into the office carrying bags. There was Joseph with two more men. The men were filling out baptismal forms. Pastor, Deadra and I went into the sanctuary with the men. As Kent began to talk with them about baptism and their "new" life I couldn't help but weep harder. These men were very sincere. One teased (they are homeless) "Where's a bar of soap I would love a bath in this nice warm water."

This week has been the greatest Resurrection Week ever. I shall never forget the blessing I felt while buying Easter candy and treats today. Nor will I ever forget the MANY people my husband and son have baptized this week. We have teased Trent that his name is Trent the Baptist because he has baptized so many.

This just occured to me....my previous post was about Holiness, Faithfulness. I included the words to the song "Holiness Holiness is What I long For". The last verse is about BROKENESS. I didn't even mention the brokeness verse. Yesterday I purposed to not only be holy and faithful but to help CUPC become holy and faithful. Today I was privileged to feel broken. I want our entire congregation to feel what I feel today. I pray CUPC Sanctuary Choir can witness it. Choir, you are the best. Let's be holy, faithful and broken together for HIM.

I love you all...how do I end this....just weeping some more.

2 comments:

Misti Ferguson said...

I know just how you feel...you know, it makes worship so much easier when you think, "There, but for the grace of God, go I..." Thanks for letting us have a glimpse of your tender Pastor's wife heart. I love it and I love you!

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a beautiful, inspiring post. Last night I found myself talking with a young man (a pastor's son) who used to go to all the church conferences and outings with my children. I know what a wonderful person he is, and how he has let life's cares take centerstage. In our conversation the thought came: Who do people with needs have but us? My heart weeps today with you. Thank you for your words. I am encouraged to know that the Lord is doing a work in the land, and we are privileged to be a part.