Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Scriptures Regarding Holiness

While I could post many scriptures about 'specifics' of holiness this was not my thought pattern yesterday. However, my thoughts were simply of being a holy or separate person that I may be found pleasing to God. I KNOW when I love Him I will happily comply with anything I feel the scriptures discuss or furthermore anything I feel a prick in my heart concerning. While the Word may not deal with a specific in a particular area I may find a principle in the Word that does. Furthermore, I may simply feel something to be a weight as discussed yesterday.

I feel if we seek to love and honor God we will not get hung up on the whys or why nots rather we will serve Him willing to abandon all other weights, sins, and strongholds. Again as I mentioned in my previous writing the new concept of Christian liberties doesn't ring true to my ears. How does picking up more weigh less? The scripture clearly states to lay aside weights and sins. Therefore, I think there are some things that my not necessarily be wrong that we should consider laying aside less they become a stumbling block to either ourselves or others. I challenge church leaders to look very closely at this concept.

Following are only a FEW scriptural references. In some instances I quote the scripture. In others I gave an excerpt or a brief description. Please do not take my word rather read the scriptures for yourself.

Hebrews 6:1 …let us go on unto perfection;

Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Titus 2:11,12 - For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.

I Cor 1:8 - that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I Cor 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

II Cor 5:16,17 - If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. A new creature, a new creation, a new character.

II Cor 6:14-17 - we are to be a separate people: separate from the character of the world.

II Cor 7:1 - Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Ephesians 1:4 - According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the earth, that we should be holy, and without blame before him in love:

Ephesians 5:26-27 - That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself, a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Ephesians 6:10-18 - We must put on the whole armor of God. We must have the character of Jesus Christ. It is impossible to have the power of God without having the character of God, which is holiness.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Col. 1:21-23 -And you that were sometimes alienated, and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: if ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached unto every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister.

I Thess 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.

I Thess 4:7-8 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit

I Thess 5:22-23 - Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

II Timothy 2:21,22 - Flee also lusts; but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

II Timothy 3:1-5 - These scriptures describe the exact opposite of holiness: from such turn away.

Titus 1:16 – They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Hebrews 7:26 - For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

Hebrews 8:10 - For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws in their minds, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God and they shall be to me a people.

I Peter 1:13-19 - Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: but as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, be ye holy for I am holy.

I Peter 2:1-25 - The character of a Christian. …a peculiar people...

I John 2:15,16 - Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the father, but is of the world.

Revelation 21:27 - and there shall in no wise enter into it anything that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh an abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Revelation 22:11 - He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy let him be holy still.

Matt. 7:13,14 - Enter ye in at the straight gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Matt. 23:1-39 - Read whole chapter. - NOTE verse 26. We must be clean INSIDE and OUT

Luke 21:34-36 - And take heed to yourselves, less at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all of them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the son of man.

Again, as I have carefully sought out these scriptures last night and this morning I have done so with much soul searching and prayer. I trust you will do the same. The principal of holiness is to be like Him who lives within us. How can he be in us yet we not be like Him? An old chorus rings in my ears...maybe you will join me in singing...

To be like Jesus
To be like Jesus
On earth I long to be like Him
All through life's journey
From earth to glory
I only ask to be like Him
All I ask- to be like Him.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!! I am so thankful that I have learned to ask not, "Well, what's wrong with it?", but to ask instead, "What is truly RIGHT with it?" I don't want to go through life trying to see how much I can get away with and still make it to Heaven. I try to live my life as close to my Saviour as I possibly can & still keep two feet on this earth! ;o)

Aimee Shelton

Kathy McDaniel said...

Sis. Smith:
Also the song "Make Me in Your Image" fits what you are speaking of.
"Make me in YOUR Image, make me to be more like YOU. Purify this heart of mine, Lord, I'm giving YOU control. Let me be a vessel, one that's worthy to be used. Make me in YOUR Image, make me more like YOU."
As the song says, if we will give HIM control of our life, then we can live a life that is holy and pleasing to HIM.
The statement "What Would Jesus Do" is possibly something we should ask ourself when there is a question of what is right and what is wrong.
I want to live my life everyday in the way that HE wants me to live. I want to be a light to others and to reach out in compassion like you have been speaking of.
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement through your blog.
May the Lord bless you beyond measure!
Kathy McDaniel

Edward Drake said...

Tracie,

I'd have to say my fave scripture would have to be 2nd Corinthians 5:16-17 hence the Song Moving forword by Isreal amplifies this scripture....awsome...God is Good...all the time!!! This being the effect of a dedication to the king of kings. Tracing over lines of my own that I tried to wipe out I have been encouraged to read and notice that going back over the faded lines that were drawn in the past will indeed bring me closer to God. You and your husband are truly and inspiration to me.

Regards,
Edward Drake

Linda Weldon said...

I LOVE these scriptures - I am copying them to keep as a reference. Thank you for being sensitive to God's calling and allowing Him to minister through you. I love you bunches!

Carrie said...

Holiness is so positive to me. I love the way when taught compassionately it compells us to draw closer to Him. Love you!

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, these scriptures will PREACH......in fact, I may just turn them into a sermon myself. Does that mean you need a cut of the offering???? LOL! Wish we were close and could have a nice, long chat at one of those delicious sounding places you visit on your travels here and there!!!!! Love you!!!!!

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

I think the pastor's wife needs to be the Wed speaker for a week or two.....

She already has the sermon together....

Misti Ferguson said...

Amen, Pastor!

Anonymous said...

To know Him is to love Him,
To love Him is to live Him.

- Darren Shelton

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the words of wisdom and letting God give you the words of ministering.