Friday, May 15, 2009

Romans 12:9-13

The Message Romans 12: 9-10
Love from the center of who you are; don't fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle.

The Message Romans12:11-13
Don't burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don't quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality.

These verses are some of the most intriguing to me. Loving from the very center of our beings without faking is something that I believe in this world of 'feel good' we all need to develop.

Can you get a mental picture of running for our very lives from evil? Often I find myself observing people who think they can 'handle' things. Unfortunately things wind up 'handling' them. If we would just run for our very lives and not feel we can handle evil things we would not have near the problems in our spiritual lives.

Being a good friend and not having to feel it has to be my way or I have to be in control of situations is such a powerful thought, too. I think friendships would be better if we would be 'second'.

This passage gives a whole new perspective of 'burn out'. It is up to me to keep myself fueled and aflame. I can only do that by putting more fuel of the Spirit into my life. I believe that is accomplished through the Word, prayer, and faithfulness to God's house. When I observe people being weak in either area it isn't long until their flame no longer burns. Just because times become difficult we should not quit rather we should pray harder!!!

The final passage is something we are endeavoring to encourage every member of CUPC to do. Help the needy by getting creative with our hospitality efforts. We must show CARE to those within the church as well as those outside the walls of the church.

I want to keep Romans 12:9-13 alive in my life!!!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Enjoyed reading your post this morning before I get to cleaning. Love you, hope you have a wonderful Saturday!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Wonderfully said - and this should encourage us all to fuel our Holy Ghost fires daily.