Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Prayer

Tonight as I sit in the quiet of my home having spent some time in prayer I have reflected on the power of prayer. I decided to see what the Word of God had to say on the subject. Following are a few verses that I read:

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16) When a righteous man prays there are more changes than he could ever imagine or comprehend. "And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven." (James 5:15) Note the sick person is not only healed but saved.

"Elijah was a man with a nature like ours and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit." (James 5:17-18)

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial; for when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God promises to those who love him. (James 1:12) I think the ability to persevere when trials are upon us greatly is through the power of prayer.

I want to be a person who prays more. I often think if we talk to God more and spend less time worrying (talking to ourselves) and talking to others we will be amazed at the outcome. I have failed this test many times but I want to keep getting up and praying MORE!

Will you join me in more prayer?

3 comments:

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Tracie, what a great post....just before the National Day of Prayer. Yes, we are joining you in prayer. Love you!

Carrie said...

Yes! I will join you in more prayer. Love you!

Deadra's Dialogue said...

great post...I want to be one who prays more too! love you!!!