Friday, January 16, 2009

Let's Agree

Matthew 18:19 The Amplified: Again I tell you, if two of you on earth agree (harmonize together, make a symphony together) about whatever [anything and everything] they may ask, it will come to pass and be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For wherever two or three are gathered (drawn together as My followers) in (into) My name, there I AM in the midst of them.

Matthew 18:19 The Messenger: When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it, my Father in heaven goes into action. 20 And when two or three of you are together because of me, you can be sure that I’ll be there.”

Preceeding this verse is the account of how to deal with a problem with someone. I think if problems will be resolved in our homes, churches, and every relationship we will have God in the midst and will stand amazed at what He will do.

So often a 'backdoor revival' as my husband refers to it occurs before a church enters a time of harvest. This frustrates me even though I have found it to be true time and time again. I would much rather people work out their issues and everyone serve God together. Matthew 18:15 - 18 reveals that God realizes sometimes people are not willing to fix a problem immediately if they are even willing at all. Hence I guess is why the backdoor revival occurs. (Back door revival: when people can't work out their issues and leave the church or change churches)

Read this account from The Message: Matthew chapter 18: 15 “If a fellow believer hurts you, go and tell him—work it out between the two of you. If he listens, you’ve made a friend. 16 If he won’t listen, take one or two others along so that the presence of witnesses will keep things honest, and try again. 17 If he still won’t listen, tell the church. If he won’t listen to the church, you’ll have to start over from scratch, confront him with the need for repentance, and offer again God’s forgiving love. 18 “Take this most seriously: A yes on earth is yes in heaven; a no on earth is no in heaven. What you say to one another is eternal. I mean this.

Our words our actions are eternal! It concerns me when people get angry or frustrated and 'pop off'. In the heat of a moment it is easy to forget that words are lasting. We are living in a day when more and more people seem to be governed by self motives rather than God's will or motives. This causes people to feel the need to say or do what they will.

Today and everyday I choose agreement with the will of God in every situation. I know by agreeing with Him I will agree with others. I also recognize that according to Matt 18:18 this is something to take seriously. I will allow not only my love but the LOVE of God to flow to those who will not listen or be submitted to God. I will offer His forgiving love. Then I have confidence that there is no end to what God will do....

I choose to be agreed!!!!

PS I am thankful that CUPC is in a time of growth - I am thankful we are at the place where more are agreed than not. Oh sure some will always be in a congregation 'disagreed'. We will love them but not focus on the lack of agreement since lack of unity hinders receiving what God desires to give the church.

Blessings for growth in each of your congregations....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good post.
I love your background music we need to learn that song :)
I love you

Anonymous said...

Tracie, I really enjoyed your post this morning.
It always feels so much better when we are in unity with others.
So thankful your church is growing!
Love you,
Lisa

Trent Smith said...

good post mom...

Anonymous said...

Amen!!

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Good post babe....

Too many folks want to wander in an out at their leisure....

Whatever happened to commitment?