Monday, January 19, 2009

Commitment: The Greatest Value

This year it is my goal to measure everything I do against its value. For almost 1 month I have been searching myself and reflecting upon CUPC. I began to honestly critique myself against the value I add to the church. Further I have analyzed the various ministries of the CUPC. Of course it is impossible to do so without considering the various persons that serve within each individual ministry. I have come to one conclusion regardless my involvements in order for me to carry out my responsibilities as unto God I must first have a commitment to the cause.

Honestly my evaluations have caused me frustration. I recognize the only thing limiting a church is the commitment levels of the individuals who frame the structure of a church. A church mission statement or goal can utilize the word commitment and even feel it is committed but without individual commitments true commitment is nonexistent.

A great business leader once said "...the basic philosophy, spirit, and drive of an organization have far more to do with its relative achievements than do technological or economic resources, organizational structure, innovation, and timing. All these things weigh heavily in success. But they are, I think, transcended by how strongly the people in the organization believe in its basic precepts and how faithfully they carry them out." Thomas J. Watson, Jr., A Business and its Beliefs - The ideas that helped build IBM

To commit is to pledge to a certain purpose or line of conduct. It also means practicing beliefs consistently. Possibly the best description of commitment is "persistence with a purpose". Effectively demonstrating commitment to God, others, the basic principles of a church, and to one’s self is never easy. Demonstrating commitment is hard work. Unfortunately wavering commitment is usually seen as no commitment at all. The only way to achieve a reputation for commitment is through determination and persistence. Genuine commitment stands the test of time.

According to a major leadership organizational company commitment is demonstrated by a combination of actions. The first action is called supporting. Genuine support develops a commitment in the minds and hearts of others. This is accomplished by focusing on what is important and leading by example. It is not uncommon for people to be either confused as to what is important, or lose sight of it over time. Supporting means concentrating on what adds value, spotlighting what's working, and rewarding others who are focusing on what is important and leading by example. A crucial aspect of true support is standing up to those who would undermine commitment, those whose words or actions show disrespect.

Commitment is most difficult yet proven during tough times. How someone weathers a storm most clearly demonstrates their basic beliefs. Epicurus stated: "...a captain earns his reputation during the storms." When your competition scores big against you, when the money dries up, when the glamour of success wears off, or when things become mundane it is easiest to compromise commitments. The real test of commitment is when it is easy to compromise faithfulness. Often we are presented various ways to compromise our faithfulness to commitments.

Fortunately, paying the price that commitment commands has payoffs worth the cost. Commitment is a two-way street. The returns of commitment can never be achieved with anything less that total commitment. This year it is my goal to help make people become aware of the value of commitment.

Often people feel their duties or responsibilities are small and someone else can easily step in and fill the gap. Even worse some never even care enough to consider if anyone will fill the gap. All too often people simply make decisions based on what they want to do or about themselves and not for the good of the whole. Selfish individuals are never committed individuals. Commitment reaches beyond one’s self and must blend harmoniously with other's so no one person is seen or heard.

Today Kent challenged our congregation to be at prayer service at 5:59 pm rather than 6:00 pm. I wonder if there was more commitment to prayer if he would have even thought to ask for the extra minute. I think that rather than asking choir practice to end a few minutes early for prayer people would be in the sanctuary ready to pray as soon as the instruments and vocalists become silent. He challenged Sunday morning saints to attend Sunday evening services and all to be faithful to Wednesday night service. Of late on several occasions the subject of church attendance as arisen when we are with other ministry couples. Most are seeing the trend shift to larger crowds on Sunday mornings than Sunday nights and midweek service attendance being even smaller. While I realize some have job or college schedules that prohibit attendance at some services I seriously doubt the real issue of poor attendance is for valid reasons. People have always worked, gone to college, and dealt with sickness. I feel lack of commitment has simply made it where it is easy to miss church, drop out of choir, stop teaching classes, miss prayer meetings, not attend church socials, and on and on the list continues.

My prayer and thoughts have caused me to conclude that commitments to a pastor, the church, a class, a praise team, a choir, a van route, hospitality to newcomers, or a position will never be stronger than an individual’s commitment to God.

God allow me to be committed to You. Help me to be an instrument used of You to help others desire a commitment to You. I want to be committed…..God help this pastor’s wife be all I should be.

5 comments:

Jana McVay said...

I got chills when I read your statement about how our level of commitment to church, etc. is a reflection of our commitment to God.

I want to be committed to our Saviour and give Him the best I can while striving to do His will.

I am a music director and would like to use excerpts from this post to include in an internal newsletter to our music department. We have been seeing the same lack of commitment; never knowing how many will be in attendance for a choir practice, who will actually show up for worship team practice, how many will actually pray after choir practice vs. how many run to get a coffee at the local Starbucks, and on and on it goes. This post has great insight on what commitment means. So, may I copy and use parts of this post? Please e-mail me at jmcvay@inlandlighthouse.com to let me know.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Wonderful post. My desire is to be totally committed to Him.

Kathy McElhaney said...

As our church's choir director, I have had this same conversation with our Music director in recent weeks. This post was so rich.

Misti Ferguson said...

Awesome! I have been thinking some of the same things (probably because I'm seeing the same things you are!LOL). I, too, want to be truly committed to my Lord, my pastor and my church! Love you!

Susan Hill said...

Oh, you have touched the heart of most things great and most things lacking in this generation! Commitment! And how do we instill deeper, truer commitment? I spoke with a young lady recently who has been through a year of DEEP turmoil, but through it all she has realized the value of true 100% commitment. How sad, that it takes such great lengths so often to understand the value of something. I pray that we will all learn to be commited whole hearted to Him and all that we do for Him!! Beautiful post!