Friday, January 30, 2009

God's Word

Yesterday I wrote about praise and how it empowers us. This morning allow me to write about the Word of God and how it gives light. The past few days I have had opportunity to talk with several of my minister wife friends who have felt pressures the past week. I have been praying for them in their time of need. Also, I have had three minister wife friends in contact with me because they are praying for me and my pressures of life. Yesterday, one of my California friends, Susan, left a comment that she had felt like she was in a tunnel. Susan, I can so relate. Many times I have had that tunnel sensation. I know that when I can begin to praise I feel better. Then if I can just get in to the word I usually 'see' better.

Often in these times we search for someone to give us a word of encouragement. I have prayed Lord will you let someone just care enough to call. Quite a long time back we were going through a trial. We even had some of our family over praying with us. Then, a minister that we do not even know called from Oklahoma. They had a prayer meeting with us over the speaker phone. Wow, what a prayer meeting! Last week I was praying about something and I asked God to let someone speak to me. Then on Monday night out of nowhere our home phone rang. I've been considering having the home phone disconnected since no one ever calls it. Hummmm I think we may keep it forever now!

Another powerful way that God speaks to me from time to time is through His written word. This morning my daily readings were verses that I've read so often. Regardless, to how many times I've read or heard these passages they are still so strong. I dedicate my readings today to all of my minister wife friends. Of course they are for everyone who reads the blog today, too! I could never leave any of you out. As I have said often I read basically 3 translations every day. Today The Messenger is what I read last. Hence, following are scriptures from my daily reading plan copied from The Messenger:

Psalms 55:16 I call to God; God will help me. 17 At dusk, dawn, and noon I sigh deep sighs—he hears, he rescues. 18 My life is well and whole, secure in the middle of danger Even while thousands are lined up against me. 19 God hears it all, and from his judge’s bench puts them in their place. But, set in their ways, they won’t change; they pay him no mind. 20 And this, my best friend, betrayed his best friends; his life betrayed his word. 21 All my life I’ve been charmed by his speech, never dreaming he’d turn on me. His words, which were music to my ears, turned to daggers in my heart. 22 Pile your troubles on God’s shoulders— he’ll carry your load, he’ll help you out. He’ll never let good people topple into ruin. 23 But you, God, will throw the others into a muddy bog, Cut the lifespan of assassins and traitors in half. And I trust in you

Romans 7:17 But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can’t keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! 18 I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. 19 I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. 20 My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time. 21 It happens so regularly that it’s predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. 22 I truly delight in God’s commands, 23 but it’s pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. 24 I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that the real question? 25 The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different. The Solution Is Life on God’s Terms

Romans 8:5 Those who think they can do it on their own end up obsessed with measuring their own moral muscle but never get around to exercising it in real life. Those who trust God’s action in them find that God’s Spirit is in them—living and breathing God! 6 Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life. 7 Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God. Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God, ends up thinking more about self than God. That person ignores who God is and what he is doing. 8 And God isn’t pleased at being ignored.

Romans 8:31 So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? 32 If God didn’t hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing himself to the worst by sending his own Son, is there anything else he wouldn’t gladly and freely do for us? 33 And who would dare tangle with God by messing with one of God’s chosen? 34 Who would dare even to point a finger? The One who died for us—who was raised to life for us!—is in the presence of God at this very moment sticking up for us. 35 Do you think anyone is going to be able to drive a wedge between us and Christ’s love for us? There is no way! Not trouble, not hard times, not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not bullying threats, not backstabbing, not even the worst sins listed in Scripture

I've had my morning time in the Word. Now I think I'll get some praise on. Today will be a good day. We will spend some time in the office this morning as is our routine. Then later we are going to meet a neighboring pastor and wife for lunch. Time spent with friends always makes the day better. I hope where ever you are the light of the Word will shine upon you.

No comments: