Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Email Inspirations

Not only do Kent and I have the awesome challenge of working to establish personal goals and motivate ourselves to accomplish them but we also are responsible to help establish goals for our church leadership team and help motivate the leaders to to catch hold of our vision as well as establish goals of their own for their responsibilities. Personally and corporately establishing goals and putting actions to goals requires a lot of motivation.

This morning when I checked emails I discovered I received three significant emails. One is proof of failed motivation while the other two are inspiring. Allow me to share the inspiring emails.

At 5:27 AM the following email was delivered to my inbox from Terry Davidson, Supt. of Public Schools, Comanche OK. Mr. Davidson sends motivational type emails to his collegues each work day. His wife Sue is a follower of my blog. With my permission I have been included on his email list. It is a email I look forward to receiving each day. Upon being included on his emails I requested permission to use his powerful notes from time to time. Following is today's motivational email:

I must admit that I was somewhat pressed during the holidays. It was a good holiday, yet there were many struggles: a struggle to stay focused during a time when the schedule didn't necessarily dictate that focus; a struggle to manage to spend some time with family in the midst of the demands of a compelling deadline to complete the geothermal retrofit project; a struggle to maintain a commitment to mental growth during a time when there wasn't anything in my schedule that would necessarily demand that growth; a struggle to maintain an exercise regimen during a time when my schedule was ever changing; a struggle to limit my calorie intake while my wife and my Mom were providing every incentive to do the opposite.

"Supe, it sounds like you didn't have a very good two weeks." No, actually, it was one of the most satisfying holidays I've had in a long time. I will admit that I wasn't successful in overcoming all of the struggles mentioned (especially the calorie intake). But there is a real sense of accomplishment that is motivating me to begin a new year with excitement and enthusiasm. In a letter several months ago, I addressed the dangers that lurk during times when there is nothing to do. I've certainly not had to worry about those dangers recently.

Besides, it's struggle that completes us and makes us better. It's during times of struggle that we capture an understanding of our real character. John Neal said, "Kites rise against, not with the wind. No man has ever worked his passage anywhere in a dead calm
."

The second email was delivered to my inbox at 7:31 AM from Linda Weldon, a member of CUPC. Sis. Weldon gave us a most incredible book as part of our Christmas present. Yesterday our secretary, Deadra, contacted the Weldons to see where the now no longer published book was purchased. We intend to give the book as gifts to our church leaders. Linda Weldon received a quote from the source where she purchashed our book and thought we would enjoy it, too. Hopefully, it will inspire you as much as it did me.

"People often tell me that motivation doesn't last, and I tell them that bathing doesn't either. That's why I recommend it daily." Ziz Ziglar

I intend to be as the kite and work the struggles to my advantage to set my sails higher. I agree with Mr. Ziglar just as bathing is a daily task I will also keep in the forefront of my mind that my motivation will not last but rather I must look to my goals daily to keep them in place. I KNOW they are necessary therefore I will frequent them daily.

Thanks to both authors, Linda Weldon and Terry Davidson, for helping me in this week that is solely set aside for working on goals, motivation, and determining what things are worth the struggles and what things are just weights to keep my kite from sailing.

Struggles will come in fact in some sense they will probably arrive daily. I trust this year each of us will view it as a medium to rise and not accept defeat. I do not intend to surrender to the struggle nor allow the struggle to keep me from soaring. I intend to use it's wind, it's energy to my advantage and soar...

All to often people face obstacles and quit. A failed grade is never a reason for a college student to withdraw. A spousal disagreement isn't a reason to divorce. A failed career isn't a reason to quit working. For us failed attempts in pregnancy wasn't reason to give up on having children. Poor income today isn't reason to not have aspiring goals of financial success. Unsaved family members isn't reason to belive they will remain unchurched. Mistakes aren't reason enough to quit. Sickness isn't a reason to doubt miracles of healing. All of these failed attempts may just be a reason to access the purpose of the failure and gain a new method or add more commitment to the already tried methods.

I'm motivated.....Tomorrow I will be motivated...In fact each day I will ensure I will return to my motivations....Don't quit....don't slack.....Be encouraged.....accomplish...win....succeed ....

3 comments:

Linda Weldon said...

Thank you Sis. Smith for motivating ME! Thank you for sharing your email from Mr. Davidson. I also love what you said at the end of your blog: "don't quit...don't slack...be encouraged ... accomplish...win...succeed". This IS the year! Love you so much! Sis. Weldon

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Oh Sis Tracie, Its been awhile. I love it. Motivation daily. Like bathing. I just loved it. Thank God for those who can see through eyes of the spirit. Love you.. Thanks for sharing those motivational e-mails..
Sis Noel

Karen J. Hopper said...

Great inspiring post.