Sunday, July 6, 2008

Second Report - 26th Anniversary Trip

We are still having fun! This morning we had breakfast at the hotel in New Orleans then headed to Jean Lafitte, Louisiana for an airboat swamp tour. We had so much fun. The flora and fauna was beautiful. Most of the pictures I took with the exception of the gators were taken while the boat was moving. Many were even taken at high rates of speed. I’m proud of my little camera!

Our guide actually ‘played’ with gators along the tour. We saw more than a dozen alligators. He captured two and brought them on board. Kent and I held them. Redonia, I held it just for you! Sissy, I know if you were with us you would have had so much fun. (I miss you!!!!) The guide fed the alligators marshmallows. He said the marshmallows float when thrown into the water and causes the gators to come up above water. We were reminded the alligators can’t see right in front of them but rather to the sides. After being in the hot sun for more than two hours we were ready for lunch. I spotted a Krispy Kreme! We grabbed fast food first and then went thru the drive thru for doughnuts!!! Yum…

After leaving Jean Lafitte we headed to Alabama. First stop was in Mobile to see the church dad pastored. We drove around the neighborhood I was reared. Memories flooded my mind. This was difficult for me. I was a young teenager when Dad was diagnosed with cancer. The church was at its prime as was our family. Since Dad’s resignation I have never been back to the church. I think all my siblings have. I was older and have some not so good memories. Kent forced me to deal with some of my feelings. He pulled up to the front doors of the old sanctuary and said it was here that you saw your Dad preach, you received the Holy Ghost, and here that you walked down the aisle as a young teenager from the bathroom to the altar with your skirt tucked in your panties! Hummmm did I just say that for the world to see? Well we laughed and he quickly drove away. What would I do without him? He always helps me.

After leaving Mobile we drove to Gulf Shores. Wow! This area is so commercialized now. It’s amazing what almost 30 years has done. We had dinner at Lambert’s CafĂ© – home of the throwed rolls. I ordered ham steak. It was served to me in a 14” frying pan! Tomorrow we are going to travel back to explore some of my heritage, Dauphine Island and Bayou La Batre. I’m sure we will eat some of the finest gulf seafood along the way.

I’ll post more later….

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Glad you are having a wonderful time. Now the alligators, I could do without. Could never be brave enough to hold one. Continue enjoying your special time together.

Vicki said...

Glad you are having a good time! I've only been back to the Theodore church 1 time and that was for Pam Hamilton Dobbs wedding. Never for a church service. Not sure I could, too many memories (good and bad)