Thursday, July 3, 2008

July 3 - Our 26th Wedding Anniversary

Today Kent and I celebrate our 26th Wedding Anniversary. 28 years ago we had our first date. Sis. McClain was the instigator. Our family went to Houston to visit the McClain’s. Kent’s family came and visited, too. We went out one night then the following day my family returned to Alabama. I talked about Kent the entire way from Houston to Alabama. Finally my Dad grew frustrated and asked me to hush because he could tell I was falling in love. He said he didn’t want to share a grandbaby with Ronnie Smith. Of course our Dads were friends and my daddy was teasing. Of course we didn't have cell phones to call or text nor computers to email. I received lots of letters and cards. (I still have them!)

The following summer I moved to Texas to attend secular college. In November my Dad passed away. Kent and his family travelled from Aransas Pass to Birmingham, Alabama for Dad’s funeral. After the visitation Kent and I spent some time together. He was a strong shoulder for me to cry on. He invited me to ride back to Texas with him. Of course I did to save the plane fare. Well, kinda…really I liked the idea of spending time with him. A couple of weeks later he took me to the Christmas Banquet. A few days later I flew home to spend Christmas with my family. Of course we were expecting a very sad Christmas but Kent surprised us during the holidays and cheered things up!

After 4 dates, my handsome, charming, funny boyfriend told me he loved me. What an incredible Christmas present! The very next night he proposed. Of course I quickly responded that I would love to be his wife. I rode back to Houston with him and we quickly began planning our July 3, 1982 wedding.

Four years later we adopted our beautiful daughter, Redonia. Thirteen months later I gave birth to Trent. With the exception of 3 years we have been involved in fulltime ministry. We have had the privilege of assisting in Shepherd, Texas (Rev. Vandy Pope), evangelizing for a few months, and assisting in Pasadena, Texas (Rev. Wayne McClain). Seventeen and one half years ago we began the work that we knew we were ultimately called to do in Conroe. We have endeavored to never allow the demands of ministry to separate our love for one another.

Twenty six years later I can truthfully say I love the man I married even more. He is a man of faith, vision, and compassion. He is my very best friend. He came as a bright light in a dark time of my life. He still radiates my days. He is witty, a wonderful husband and a great father to my babies. He is not only a caring pastor to CUPC but a caring spiritual leader for our family.

Today I leave on a trip with my husband, my love. Though I will miss our children and church I will enjoy our time together. He still makes me smile! At our wedding he sang “Welcome to My World”. I’m glad that today he still welcomes me in his world.

Babe, I love you more than ever. Happy Anniversary to my best friend!!!!

9 comments:

iluv2prshim said...

Happy Anniversary! Ya'll have a safe and fun trip! :)

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Ahhhhhh...how sweet! Happy Anniversary. I love you both, have a fun, relaxing, safe trip.

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

You are more beautiful than ever...

The Husband

Linda Elms said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Thank you for telling your story. I enjoyed reading about your "courtship days". Have fun on your trip! Love you!

Belinda said...

A HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU
A HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU
AND THE BEST YEAR YOU'VE EVER HAD!!!

ONE MORE TIME......HAHAHAHAHA

Karen J. Hopper said...

Happy Anniversary - enjoy your getaway time.

Keith and Carla said...

Happy anniversary - enjoy your getaway!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary trip.

Happy 4th!

Tracie Smith said...

Thank you all! We are truly being pampered @ the Ritz Carlton club level. Our church didn't omit a single detail. I hope to post about it later. New Orleans was a popular vacation spot for our family when I was a child. Lots of great memories of my childhood!!! Of course Kent and I have enjoyed remembering our 26 years together, too! He is the bsst. Happy 4th to each of you...