Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Early Morning Thoughts

This morning I began to think and pray about several 'situations'. In search of how I can help my thoughts travelled the following path:

According to www.dictionary.com pride is a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

It appears that pride is a weakness that will tempt from the very moment a person even in childhood begins to learn anything. Even spiritual knowledge makes people proud, and thereby negates their spirituality. The instant pride enters, a step backwards occurs. If pride is allowed to remain, learning will cease, and sin will quickly abound.

I have noticed that more and more persons have a big need for approval. I realize everyone to a degree seeks approval but I am referring to the BIG NEED. While I am not a licensed counselor I have been involved in helping people long enough to realize that people with the lowest self esteem often present themselves the haughtiest. Pride and self esteem seem to feed off one another. Another observation is that pride removes the spirit of love and brings in a spirit of competition.

Pride is the fault where a person looks at his own actions for validation, instead of just accepting that he is valuable, and having faith in that, alone. Pride is the "sin" where we don’t see ourselves where we really are, but instead try to value ourselves for something we are not.

While it is natural to be proud (feeling pleasure or satisfaction over something regarded as highly honorable) of the accomplishments of ourselves, our children, or etc we must be careful not to become prideful (Arrogant; disdainful).

Each of us face dilemma. A person controlled by pride struggles even harder to deal with the situations of life. The problem itself isn’t nearly as difficult to overcome as the pride of people knowing we face dilemma. The pride forces us to extreme circumstances and situations.

Overcoming pride can best be handled by living John 13. Find a way to be a servant to others.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall Proverbs 16:18

4 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a great post. You may not be a "licensed counseler" but no one could have said it any better. In agreement 100 percent.

Carrie Blair said...

My Seeking Him devotion was on pride and self image; that God truly values a heart of brokeness and humility.

I am amazed at how quickly prides surface in my life. It seems they can show up rather quickly when my spirit is not kept in check and I have gotten too busy to pray like I should....

Thank you for challenging me again to have a pure spirit.

You have probably "earned" a counseling degree by being a pastor's wife! I love you with all my heart. Have a great day!

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing and reminding us that the only one we should seek approval from is HIM!!! Love you!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Great post! I agree, you got the insight.