Sunday, March 1, 2009

Eighteen Years and Counting...

Eighteen years ago today was our first service as Pastor and family of CUPC. Many things have changed in 18 years. Our first service when Kent was asked to ‘try out’ boasted 12 persons including our four. Kent had been on an extended fast. He literally had sat down at our dining table to eat soup breaking the fast when the phone rang. I heard him tell the caller I will be happy to preach for you but I don’t think I’m interested in the church. I remember my heart racing thinking we are about to move.

The following Sunday we took Redonia and Trent with us. They were three and four years of age. I wasn’t nervous at the service because Kent assured me he was only preaching for someone and wasn’t interested in the church. That morning as he ministered using a sewing table he found in the building for the pulpit I KNEW this was it! We drove around Conroe that afternoon and burden began to grip us. Only days later did the phone call come to congratulate us on being voted in as pastor. I remember lying in bed beside Kent hugging him and calling him pastor! He laughed and said pastor of what 8 people! Then he quickly said it will not remain the 12 of us we are going to have revival!

In those early days Kent told us that we would treat the church as if it were 500. Well, we still haven’t hit 500 but we do have over 200 people that call CUPC home. Along the way we have been frustrated that we haven’t hit 500 yet but we do know it is in our near future. I guess with our new people of the last few weeks, our Spanish service, and our outreach children who come every single week we have over 300. God has really been faithful to us.

Many things have changed. Allow me to nummerate a few blessings.
  1. Tonight’s service had more praise singers and musicians than the congregation at our first service.
  2. Tonight’s hospitality staff was ½ of the size of our original congregation.
  3. Tonight our financial office had 1/3 the staff of the size of our original service attendance.
  4. I’m sure we had more infants and workers in the nursery than saints in our first service.
  5. Without doubt the offerings this weekend were more than several months in the beginning.
  6. We have more Sunday School staff than we had members in our congregation in the beginning.
  7. Our choir tonight was larger than our congregation the first year.
  8. Our talent sounds as if it could be a concert compared to our simple beginnings
  9. My children no longer sit in car seats asking if we are headed to teach Bible Studies. They now help lead the church.
  10. I no longer have to spend hours dealing with petty issues on the phone.
  11. We have great people who help care for the needs of people.
  12. There’s no way I can possibly visit with the entire congregation in one service.
  13. I can’t host a dinner for the entire church in my home even though my home is three times as large as our first home.
  14. Our monthly ladies prayer meetings seem like I’m at a general conference compared to our prayer services 18 years ago.
  15. We have Sunday School for all age. I taught nursery through high school the first couple of years.
  16. We have a thriving Christian school.
  17. We have a Bible Quiz Program
  18. We have a full music program – choirs, praise teams, sign team, a band, drama crews, etc.
  19. We have a full technical staff –lighting, sound, and projection
  20. We have a dynamic Student Ministries – preteens, youth, & college and career
  21. We have an incredible outreach department – van routes, feed homeless, toy drives, etc
  22. We have the best hospitality department
  23. We have events planners
  24. We have an incredible Spanish church
  25. We've had a full time assistant for many years.
  26. We have 3 secretaries – they keep Kent and me in line!
  27. We have maintenance and janitorial crews
  28. We have buildings and fixtures rather than a rented store front
  29. We have a church full of CARING people!
  30. Most important is we have an APOSTOLIC church where APOSTOLIC things happen!

Thank you Redonia and Trent for being a GREAT part of helping Dad and I reach many goals. I KNOW you are still behind us 110 percent. Many things that have been accomplished have been because you have never complained of sacrifice. You've given of your own finances and resources to make things happen. You haven't put pressure on us for 'things' during times of financial difficulties. You have loved the saints as your family. Conroe is our family and we are looking forward to 18 more GREAT years!!! Thank you LORD and thank you Conroe for 18 great years!

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

18 years!! Wow!! That's so awesome. God has poured his blessings! Reading through all the changes reminded me of our church back in Indiana where my uncle pastored. I would laugh when the choir sang and we had more people in the tiny choir than in the pews! And the fund raisers... we donated money to buy the ingredients, then we made the cake/cookies/eggrolls/peanut brittle, then we bought whatever it was that we made. I used to wonder why we didn't just give the money and save all that time! lol! Anyway... so glad to read all the blessings in your life!

Misti Ferguson said...

Bro. and Sis. Smith, thank you SO much for your years of sacrifice!!!! I'm so thankful for you and the work that you've done here. Congratulation on 18 years...I look forward to seeing what God does in the next 18!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Congratulations on your 18th anniversary. Number 29 popped out at me: No church can ever be filled with CARING people unless they have a CARING pastor and wife. What a wonderful thing - your people are truly blessed.

iluv2prshim said...

WOW! Congratulations! It is exciting to see the wonderful things that God is doing through you and Kent. Love you! Keep up the good work.

Glenda said...

THANKS!!!!!

Rochelle said...

I just realized where Conroe is... are you going to the South Texas Ladies Conf? I am driving down there to help out Sister Cobb. I hope I get to meet you if you are there!!!