Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Life in the Parsonage

Ecclesiastes 3 is a favorite passage of mine. It seems that in the parsonage we find our self dealing with “every time”. While we celebrate life or birth with one family we find our self mourning loss with another family. Often these occurrences can be the same day. This week we have juggled family and church. We had needs at CUPC and needs in our family.

Upon arrival home we found ourselves juggling the demands of the office and the needs of people. First, we spent time in the office. About mid day we spent time with our dear Bro. and Sis. Broadway. After seeing his swift decline during our time out of town we knew we wanted to spend more time with him this evening, too. We asked Sis. Broadway to choose something from Luby’s and we were bringing dinner. We returned to the office to accomplish a few more tasks.

Yesterday we decided we would visit our Tall Timber’s children this afternoon. After seeing Bro. Broadway’s condition we decided to put on hold the babies. Moments later two of my little ones called the cell phone and asked if we were going to go to their house. I responded “Absolutely we have already planned a stop to your house today! We can play four square, basketball, and enjoy some homemade cookies and candy!” I gathered a couple of balls and off to the apartments we went. We had fun playing with the kids. Deadra and her girls joined us. I know Brooklyn had fun making new friends. One of my buddies had a little health problem so we decided to help with getting some medicine. We went to the pharmacy, picked up dinner for Sis. Broadway, back to Tall Timbers to deliver the medicine, then off to the Broadways.

Bro. Broadway is very sick and is ready to meet the Lord. I’m certain it will not be many days until we celebrate his home going. We were able to spend several hours in the Broadway home. I enjoyed hearing Sis. Broadway speak fondly of her dear husband.

Tonight I feel strange emotions. I’m excited that Daja called and we had a most incredible time of ball and snacks with a large group of friends in the park. I’m saddened that though heaven will gain I will lose soon such a buddy as my retired minister friend, Bro. Broadway.

Please pray for both the budding of life of my special friends and the passing of life. Join me in prayer for the peace and comfort of the Holy Ghost for Rev. & Mrs. Guy C. Broadway. Bro. Broadway asked again tonight that we pray he sees an angel before long. I know that to live is Christ and to die is gain!

3 comments:

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

God bless you in your giving of your time. To be of usage is beautiful.
We'll pray for your request.

Carrie Blair said...

Serving God is beautiful, serving the King of Kings. I serve Him because I love Him, you see. Serving God is beautiful to me..

Karen J. Hopper said...

You are a "giver" which blesses the heart of the lives of those you touch. And the Lord definitely considers you a "keeper" for all your efforts for Him. Lovely post, filled with what we all strive to be in all circumstances.