Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kleenex, Please!!

Today Kent felt the need to give Trent some needed advice from Dear 'ole Dad. He has always been very careful to explain things to Trent very clearly. Trent has not become the leader that he is today without lots of such talks. I’m thinking this may have been the last for a few days. Trent don't shout too quickly...just a few days, I said! The emotion of Trent getting married is settling on our family.

Of course tonight Trent drove an hour to see Calah, the nightly routine. Redonia asked if after college we would meet her at Potbelly's, her favorite sandwich shop for dinner. Silently Kent and I were riding in the car to meet her. Abruptly, Kent said, "You are going to laugh at me for doing what I’m about to do but I’m going to cry." He cried real tears, too! I asked what was wrong. He told how he was thinking about the rehearsal dinner and some things he wanted to say. He continued to say, “I can’t get past ‘We want to thank each of you for coming to support Trent and Calah. I’m so proud of Trent’ without feeling these tears.” Of course it wasn’t long until we were both crying and then laughing. I have no idea how he will give his remarks at the wedding without crying. He said it will be easier than the rehearsal dinner because behind a mic and in a black suit he will be in his zone. I assured him that if he cries it will be fine. Everyone else will cry with him. We love our children so much!

Sweet days like today do not just arrive. It takes work through out a child's life to create a sweet bond for a day like today. In honor of my husband I searced for some old pics of he and Trent....enjoy!

8 comments:

Yvette said...

Poor Redonia!!! I don't think she will have a chance of getting married now, especially if her daddy's crying this way for Trent!

Are these tears of joy or sorrow Bro Smith?

Just kidding! I KNOW how much ya'll love your kids!!! :)

Belinda said...

I was inspired....through the tears in my eyes.


Daddy and Trent the best of friends,
Set by and watch as life transcends.

Trent’s growing up, for now he’s a man
Daddy’s the one who is reading his banns.

With tears in our eyes, a chapter is closed,
As hidden feelings are being exposed.

Memories so precious are filling our heart,
While Trent and Calah are making their start.

The joy of this day will bring many tears,
As we reminiscence over his growing-up years.

Although times are changing, and life must transcend,
Daddy shall always be Trent’s very best friend.

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Ahhh...Sis. Alba, I didn't know you were a poet. How sweet!

Tracie Smith said...

Sniff, sniff, sniff! Thanks for cryng with us.

Yvette, my exact thoughts poor Redonia!

Sis. Alba, you made him cry more when he read your tear jerker...

Carrie Blair said...

Kleenex please is right! I can only imagine...

Karen J. Hopper said...

We cry when they are born, we cry when they start kindergarten, we cry when they start high school, we cry when they graduate, we cry when they get married. Why do we cry: It is a sign of love. The shedding of tears sometimes is a medal of honor in dedication to those we love dearly.

Vicki said...

Tracie, in an email you asked how Pam and I got through the weddings of our kids. Well, the night before Micah got married we all sat in that little hotel room in San Francisco a boo-hoo'd. Tremayne started it! As he was 'rehearsing' what he was going to say the next morning at the wedding. My thought was, if we are crying now what will tomorrow be like? But as you know, the next day just a few tears were shed.

I remember your wedding and how VERY tearful it was. Me, being me, decided mine would NOT be like that. So, the Christmas wonderland was very chipper. (yes, a few tears were shed, mostly for missing our dad!)

On the morning of Micah's wedding I decided that Micah was going to have the same excitement and he did. Of course with your help, things went so beautifully!

Cry now, and on the 7th sit back, relax, and enjoy the 'ride'. MEMORIES! Remember that day is really all about Calah anyway HA! (not Trent and certainly not his family or even what shoes you are wearing - sad huh? now just wait until our little girls get married - hmmm that will be a different story!)

Oh, but you will cry a few days later when they are back from the honeymoon, stop by to say hi, then leave together - ugh! Reality sets in but then when they cook you your first meal and you enter into 'their kingdom' pride, joy, and tears again! LOL

Like someone else said, tears are reserved for those we love!

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks, Vicki & Sis. Hopper! For some reason I haven't felt the big cry yet. I guess I'm too busy with the details. When he moved to college it was the same. I THOUGHT I was going to be fine but when we drove off campus....