Sunday, April 13, 2008

Honor the Lord, Have Mercy on the Poor

Proverbs 14:31(KJV): "He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that honoureth him hath mercy on the poor."

Throughout scripture, we see God's concern and love for the poor, as He instructs His people to give to them and treat them with equity. By so doing, we bring honor the Lord. God maintains the cause of the poor by raising up people to help them.

Deuteronomy 15:7: "If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:8 But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, in that which he wanteth."

Luke 4:18-19: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord."

The very nature of our Lord is to seek out the poor and help them. We are commanded to do likewise. When we give to the poor and help them with material assistance, it opens the door so that we might present the gospel. The Lord is interested in every soul. As we reach out to others with His love and compassion, we are able to lead them to Him. Jesus came to not only save us from our sin; but to save us from sickness, harm, fear, and poverty. The Bible tells us that when we reach out to help any one who is needy, poor, sick or in prison, it is the same as giving to the Lord Himself. The Lord shall reward us for it. However, the opposite is also true. When we fail to minister to the poor, hungry and sick, we also fail to minister to the Lord.

I am trying to reach beyond what is comfortable and endeavoring to help my children learn to reach those who are less fortunate. After taking home the 15 children who came to Sunday School, I invited a hurting child to lunch with my family. This child is very dysfunctional. Just listening today we were amazed with our little buddy’s exposure to drugs and alcohol. Initially Kent and Trent were a little overwhelmed with his behavior. No he was not dressed nice for a restaurant nor did he use table manners that we are accustomed to using but we enjoyed treating this child to lunch. He chose Mexican food and certainly enjoyed the nachos. I chose him and certainly enjoyed the lessons I learned today. God help me to never be too good to reach the children and the poor.

Help me this week by saying a prayer for my lil buddy.....

5 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Beautiful post. I remember when we had bus ministry. I believe it helped mold my children's character. It made them appreciative of the goodness God bestowed upon them, and each today continues to maintain a tender, caring heart.

Your burden is inspiring, and I will gladly pray with you for this wonderful work.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Sister Tracie it's beautiful what you do.
They are touched and changed forever, because you show them Jesus.
I too am attracted to the poor, the needy, the ones who "don't know how".
God bless you this week.

Rochelle said...

You are such a blessing to so many... those who you bless in your community and here and blogville. Thank you for service in the Kingdom. You inspire and challenge me to be a better Christian!

Vicki said...

I'm excited for what is happening! I am in Africa and you are there in Conroe but the need is the same! I do think our daddy would be proud. Though I do think of him sometimes when the 'smell' gets overwhelming. HA! Guess that comes from him too huh? Love you, from your 'little' sister =)

Anonymous said...

People should read this.