Friday, April 25, 2008

TAKS Field Day Runyan Elementary

Deja invited me to attend her Field Day today. What a blessing it was to be able to support one of my girls! As it turned out there were about 40 children there that has visited of late. I am thankful my favorite driver and husband decided to go along for the fun and games. He manned the purse and candy for me while I walked both sides of the field and visited with teachers about the children. Later he helped thirsty students get a cool drink of water.

We received a very warm welcome from the entire faculty and staff with the exception of one kindergarten teacher. She endeavored to explain to me that today was not a day that I should be there. Parents were invited but not other guests. She said the purpose of the day was to encourage good TAKS scores next week and encourage parents to get involved. Humm not one of my parents was there. In fact there were not too many parents there. As she talked several of my little buddies came and began to hang and swing on me. She asked them how they knew me. I was fondly labeled the church lady, the lady that gives me a ride to church, my friend that comes to my house to play ball with me, and a nice lady! After all these statements she softened and wished me a good day. I thanked her for being concerned with an outsider there but told her I did have permission from the school administration.

After searching for one of my little buddies I was introduced to his teacher. I explained my role in his life. She said he was not able to attend the function due to anger issues this morning. She was most thankful for my help but feels he is possibly already beyond help. She said he will hurt someone bad one day. I smiled thru my tears and said not if I can help it! The teacher thought it might help if I went inside and spent a few minutes with him. She also suggested I come to the school often. He told both the teacher and me he will not get a birthday present since his dad is in jail for being bad and his momma has a hard time making it. We planned him a class birthday party for Monday. I will take cupcakes and juice.

We waited until all the classes went inside before we left so we could give good bye hugs. The biggest boy yelled across the field “I love you”. Talk about a melt down for me. Immediately after this the counselor and principal chatted with us. They asked if rather than just going in on an occasion in the role of a “parent” if I would go thru the process of background investigation and become an onsite mentor as well. The counselor had heard about us previously and the efforts of our church. I believe this will be an open door to reach some of the faculty and staff as well.

Check out the pictures. I didn’t get one of all the kids and some love the camera and are in more than one. Many of the pictures were taken by the children. They wanted to take pictures of their teachers and me.

10 comments:

Carrie Blair said...

Is it possible to provide the child with the b-day a toy or gift certificate to Mc Donalds? What an awesome opportunity to go into the school for these kiddos. I believe it is important to be involved in all areas as a means to "connect" with them on just a daily basis. At times churches have just connected by church but if a child or an adult can look back and say they were there for me at other times in my life it is such a testimony of God's love, he's always there! Love you and your example..

Trent Smith said...

I think this is more then amazing! This is just the beginning of take Jesus back to school! I believe this can spread! I know it will. If God be for us who can be against us?

KAN said...

My God, My God -- what an awesome day you have had. I agree with Trent - more than amazing! I have NEVER been "jealous" of your role at the church, but seeing these pix pricked a place in my heart. I wanted to be there, too. What an incredible place to be in, Sis Smith. For such a time as this...

Gene Holley said...

That's awesome! What an incredible opportunity. There is no telling what can come from this! Our world needs someone with Truth to just care enough to reach out.

Deadra's Dialogue said...

WOW!!!! AMAZING!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!! AWESOME!!!! POWERFUL!!!! What a perfect opportunity...like Trent said...TAKE JESUS TO THE SCHOOL!!! Let us know and maybe we could send gifts or something. This could make such an IMPACT. Thanks for your example, leadership & burden to change & impact a life. Love you bunches...wish I could have been there....neat, neat!

Yvette said...

Ohhh WOWWW!!! How incredible is this.... Seems as if the harvest keeps unrolling and unrolling and unrolling before our eyes!!! I want to do what your doing!!!

Karen Prince said...

Tracie,
You are doing an awesome work. God will surely bless you and your church. What an awesome opportunity!

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks for all of you sharing in my excitement. Though I may be working in this part of the field truly the field belongs to God. I'm privileged to be a doer of the word!

Carrie - if you would like to get a small gift I can get it to him or you can give it to him Sunday. It would mean so much. I would do something personal as opposed to a gift cert that someone else may use!

Deadra and Carrie - I'm sure a small party favor or goodie bag for everyone would be ok. I don't think I should just take a gift for the b'day boy though.

Everyone keep praying for this harvest!!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Your burden has opened the door for a great harvest. It is so thrilling to hear what is happening. Am praying for you and your husband.

Keith and Carla said...

What an awesome opportunity!!! Looking forward to hearing about the harvest that will come from this.