Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shoes, Shoes, Shoes

What more to say about them?
We buy ‘em, wear ‘em, display ‘em and blabla ‘ems.


I love beautiful nice shoes. The older I get I love it when I find a beautiful yet comfortable pair! Shoes, however, are a huge point of frustration for me. I wear a size 5. I inherited from my mother the ability to loose weight in my feet. Over the past few months I have lost a few pounds. Prior to the little bit of weight loss I could sometimes s-t-r-e-t-c-h into a 5.5 shoe. Now, however, I must have a size 5. According to wiki.answers.com the average American lady’s shoe size is 8 – 8.5. Hummm I’m slightly below average. In Houston there are a couple of shoe stores specializing in small sizes. The problem is not many manufactures are making size 5 shoes.

I have spent quite a few hours of late searching for the right shoe for Trent and Calah’s wedding. I have been in store after store only to learn they no longer carry smaller than a size 6. All of my adult life I have had difficulty finding shoes. Now it is even harder to find a small shoe. Today Deadra, our secretary, joined me in an excursion to the Galleria in search of a pair of shoes. After her feeling my anguish she insisted on going into a particular store. I assured her the shoes were too expensive. Soon after entering the store we found the PERFECT pair. Deadra wanted me to just buy them. Well, after seeing the price she decided maybe I should not. The shoe cost $695.

If manufactures stop making size 5 what will I do? Since there seems to be no shortage in size 5 slippers and flip flops does this mean I can start going places in them? I’ve seen flip flops and slippers monogrammed for the bride or bridesmaid. Maybe I can find a pair for mother of the groom!

Ok enough of my ramblings. I just wanted to share my frustration. My blogging usually reveals more depth than shoes. However, I thought you ladies would understand my frustration.

12 comments:

Deadra Backhus said...

This is soooo funny to me because today I was actually thankful for BIG feet.....lol. I've never been on a shoe search like today. It was fun...thanks for taking me. Hope you find that perfect shoe soon, you only have 5 weeks left.

Rochelle said...

I wear a size 7.5. And because it seems like a popular size, I can never find any on the clearance rack! Shoes... got to have 'em!!

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Ladies.....

Big feet....

Little feet.....

Cute feet....

Stinky feet....

The problem lieth not in the feet....

But between the ears.....

Carrie Blair said...

I agree with Deadra just buy them!!!! ha ha You wouldn't be able to enjoy the wedding for fear someone was going to step on your shoes!! I hope you find the perfect pair.

Keith and Carla said...

I love shoes!!! Maybe I will be thankful for my size 10 feet! I usually have a hard time, not because I can't find shoes, but because they have sold out of my size. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Vicki said...

ahem, your mother will tell you "IF YOU PAID YOUR TITHES ..." that seems to be her answer to what ever we can or can not find HA! I've paid my tithes ever since we started working in the tomato fields in Theodore and I still have trouble finding shoes. Fat or skinny I wear 4 1/2 to 5 .... you can always wear a little girl's size 2 or 3. I know I've done it. Not thinking you are going to find wedding shoes in that department though. I lucked out and found the shoes I wore to Micah's wedding at Value City in St. Louis. Miracles do happen!

Karen J. Hopper said...

In San Francisco you would probably find your size 5 shoe with some ease. It seems that with the large Asian population, they stock numerous smaller sizes. However, it would be less expensive for you to go ahead and buy the $695 pair in Texas.
PS: My frustration in shoe buying is the heel's height. Being in my golden age, I watch its height, or I may break something and I'm afraid it may not be the heel itself.

Tracie Smith said...

Ok each of your comments are funny!

Sis. Hopper, I did tell my husband that we could go to NYC or San Fran and buy some shoes. I think he was ready to do it!!! If you see a crazy pentecostal walking the streets of San Fran with lots of shoe boxes you will know it's me!

Rochelle and Carla you have feet large enough to share to get me out of the drama!

Vicki, I'm thinking since I pay my tithes maybe what I need is a few more tithe payers! lol At least two of our faithful ones are telling me to just go and buy the shoes! ha ha They know me way to well.

Carrie and Deadra, you are some of my "bestest helpers". You know I try to be frugal! ha

iluv2prshim said...

San Francisco is the answer. :) That's where I found my shoes for Danelle's wedding. :) Come on out!

Yvette said...

Sis Smith,

Here's your solution: You and Redonia start designing, making and selling cute size 5 shoes!!! Then you could go in and just purchase those $695 shoes without thinking twice! :) Unfortunately, your deadline is 5 weeks away. :)

Belinda said...

Shoemall.com has ladies dress shoes starting at size 4 to size 14. Maybe not dressy enough for the wedding but you might find some for the other 364 days of the year. :) You know we can never have enough shoes haha

Karen Prince said...

I guess we ladies like to talk about shoes! Wow! You and Vicki have really small feet! I am thankful for my size 8, if I could lose this extra 30 lbs I would be back in my 7 1/2 size!
BTW you could always buy a bag of cotton balls and stuff the toes! LOL! Would be a little cheaper than the ones you found!