Tuesday, April 22, 2008

George Raymond Thomas

The last couple of weeks I have thought so much of Dad. I’m not really sure why. Today I have thought why the continual thinking of Daddy. Is it the older Trent gets the more he reminds me of him? Is it always in a transition time in our life I miss him? Trent getting married is definitely a transition! Is it I see things so black and white and of late I’ve thought of him because he caused me to be this way? Is it because my passion for outreach was inherited from him and my time stays filled with outreach?

My Dad struggled with brain cancer for 4 years. He passed from this life in November of 1981 at the young age of 42. My Mom was only 35 and had 4 children. I was 18 and my youngest sister only 7.

Dad was an incredible leader. He served the Alabama district in many roles. He served many years on the district board. Dad was a mentor to young ministers. I have fond memories of people like Danny and Barbara Johnson, pastor in South Texas; and Jerry and Phyllis Jones, UPCI Secretary; preaching revivals for Dad.

Outreach was Dad’s passion. Many Saturdays were spent walking trailer parks and neighborhoods inviting people to church with Dad. Many are in the church today. Some of those converts are ministers and wives.

Dad was a sharp dresser. Whatever the current style, Dad was sure to wear it. I remember the vivid floral ties and the knit leisure suits. His hair was always very neatly styled, too.

As I best remember, Dad could do anything except work on cars. He was very handy with his hands and was a pretty awesome carpenter. Laziness and Daddy never were in the same sentence.

Dad loved his family. I remember as passionate as he was for God and the church his love for us was even greater. He loved taking us to school. Those were very special times. Often he let Mom sleep in and he would even get us up and off to school. We lived near Dauphine Island and Dad enjoyed taking us to the beach.

My Dad was a very spiritual man. He studied and prayed often. I don’t remember him being a great orator but rather being an incredibly anointed preacher. Baptisms and Holy Ghost outpourings were the norm.

Daddy was a very humorous man. He loved acting silly and pulling pranks. I remember him pulling hose over his head and scaring us. He would call the house and talk like someone else. He would fool us every time.

I’m saddened that most of my friends did not know my Dad. I wish my church knew him. I wish Trent and Redonia knew Daddy. It still amazes me that though many years have passed, I still miss him so much.

Thank you, Daddy, for instilling so much in me. I will see you again one day!

14 comments:

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

I remember him as a wonderful father and man who loved God. Where have the years gone????

Jana Allard said...

I unexpectedly lost my father in 1999. Not as premature a loss as yours, but still a huge loss. I understand the feeling of wishing your children could know him. The funny thing is how my 11 year old son pronounces words like my dad. Blake was only 2 when my dad died, but he has so many characteristics of him. One example, my dad would pronounce Sizzler as Zeezler. Blake does the same thing and many other words. Everytime I hear Blake say a word like my dad, I am immediately reminded of my dad. Even my little six year old girl does things to make me think of my dad. My husand and I always say "you," but my little girl will say, "I love 'ya.'" The pain of living on memories is tough sometimes but, like you, I had a Godly dad who preached the gospel and I know we will meet again. I know how much you wish your children could have known him, but they will get to meet him one day. It's still okay to cry and I don't mind loaning my shoulder to you. I might need your shoulder tomorrow.

Rochelle said...

Your dad sounds like he was an awesome man of God. This is a wonderful tribute.

Karen J. Hopper said...

You were so blessed to have such an example. Love comes forth in your post, and your tribute to your dad is one of beauty.

Carrie Blair said...

God is so kind to us..it is awesome that Trent has his attributes and you are able to see your dad in him. It always amazes me that the Lord cares about us so tenderly.

Vicki said...

oh, remember the way he would sing on the way to school? You said he could do anything but work on cars - well, he could not sing either. HA!

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair ... let's don't and say we did ...
ears wiggling ... his love for VW busses (now called vans)

aww the memories!

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yvette said...

You were very blessed to of had such a great daddy that put so many great memories into his family!

Yvette said...

You were very blessed to of had such a great daddy that put so many great memories into his family!

Yvette said...

You were very blessed to of had such a great daddy that put so many great memories into his family!

Yvette said...

Sis Smith this thingy is wacked! I REALLY did not post this comment this many times!! ha!

Tracie Smith said...

Thank you all for the sweet remaks about my Dad! Vicki, you know Trent's singing is even like Daddy's!!! Poor kid. He's getting better, though. I'm thinking there will be some hope.

Deadra Backhus said...

This is a beautiful post about your dad.....I crack up every time you tell me Trent reminds you of your dad....he must have been a funny guy...but don't be too hard on Trent about his singing....he is getting better...plus the way he promotes worship is sooo much more than singing. love you bunches

iluv2prshim said...

The memories of your Dad are so precious. I know how you feel in missing him again. I miss my Dad and Mom so much too. It's something how you never get over losing them. We just learn to cope. However, I am so thankful for the hope we have, that we will see them again. :)