Friday, April 18, 2008

Fantabulous Time

I have had some unusual happenings of late. My dear buddy Bro. Broadway passed away, I ruptured a tendon in my finger, fell out of my parent’s van – head first, my baby boy is getting married, and on and on my list could read. These events have left me feeling a little tired. Normally District Conference is one of those times simply a requirement. This year, however, has been a fun and refreshing time.

Wednesday I enjoyed sleeping the entire way to Beaumont. After checking into the hotel Kent and I enjoyed a romantic dinner at one of my favorites, Carrabba’s Italian Grill. I enjoyed an early bedtime and vowed I would sleep until noon. Being the early riser that I am, I couldn’t force myself to stay in bed that late!

After a slow Thursday morning, Mom and I enjoyed about an hour of shopping before meeting the men at the business meeting. Then, Kent and I enjoyed lunch at Papadeauxs with Kevin & Jackie Prince, Texas District Secretary; Carlton Coon, General Director of Home Missions – UPCI; Kenny Prince, pastor Bullard, TX; and Keith & Carla Clark, pastor Quitman, TX. After Thursday night’s service we joined friends at Floyds for more seafood. We laughed with Mark & Diane Green, pastor Broadus, TX; Jonathon & Victoria Green, TBC faculty; Philip & Tina Moore, pastor Sherman, TX; Keith & Melissa Castleberry, pastor College Station, TX; Lee & Lynda Wells, evangelist from Dallas; Jim Renfro, pastor Longview, TX; Dan Christensen, minister from Louisiana; and Jeff Sanders, evangelist from Arkansas. I think we finally got back to the hotel around 2:00 am.

This morning was the annual Texas District Minister’s Wives Breakfast. Donna Myre, Diane Green and the entire committee did a fantastic job planning this event. The Apostolic Church decorated with beautiful fresh floral arrangements. Each magnificent arrangement boasted beautiful displays of fresh fruit. The speakers spoke on “Leaving a Legacy”. Each speaker spoke 3 -5 minutes and brought an item to represent something handed down from their Mom. Every speaker did a remarkable job. The topics varied from Bible reading, to joy in every situation, to hospitality, to songs, to finances, to serving the family meagerly but ever so meaningful. I sat with my Mother, Shirley Patrick; Mother-in-Law, Joye Smith; missionary wives, Kathy Brott and Judy Nicolls; Marjorie Becton, wife of retired General Secretary of UPCI; and Sherry McCoy, pastor’s wife Port Arthur. This year’s breakfast was the most delightful I have attended.

This afternoon Michelle LaBrie hosted a resale to upscale shopping tour. Approximately 15 ladies joined. Michelle and her husband Mike own Sun Tours, a limo service. We travelled on one of their tour buses. We managed to work in a quick Starbucks stop. I am sorry I can not remember everyone but a few that joined the fun was Mom, Carla Clark, Dovey Ensey, Brenda Russo, Jackie Prince, Donna Myre, Datha Alexander, Christine Landtroup, Judy, Nicolls, Sis. Wayne Whitmire, Elaine Whitmire, Debbie Hudson, and Karen Wehrle. Okay I’m getting old and have forgotten some of the ladies. Anyway we ALL had lots of fun laughing and spending money!

Jonathon and Brenda Elms and The Apostolic Church have done a fantastic job hosting the conference. Too bad I am a wife and do not get a vote. My vote would be to bring it back to Beaumont every time! Maybe my vote would be to repeat the fun in other cities every year. I have enjoyed my friends.

13 comments:

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Wow...what a report...haha

I will now make the male version of the same report...

The Conference was good...

Karla said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad you had a good time - you were with some of our relatives - Keith & Carla Clark and some of our very good friends.

I'm proud of Jon & Brenda - they are doing so good and they're church is wonderful!!

Great report!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Wow. Sounds like a busy, fun time with friends (and family added in). Seen Christine Landtroup's name, which is my daughter-in-law's sister. Isn't it something how God can make our world smaller and smaller - and we end up being connected.

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Loved reading about your fun time away. I am glad you are having fun. You needed the rest, time with friends and all the fun!!! Love you bunches!

Carrie Blair said...

It is such a awesome opportunity for you both to get away with "kindred spirits" and have a fantabulous time!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Sleeping in... a little, is good. But these refreshing times in the Lord are so much more! Happy for you.

Karen Prince said...

Sounds like y'all had a great time. I am sorry I had to miss it.
I am sure when my husband gets home he will have much to share!

Vicki said...

Aww you saw my dear friend Kathy Brott - one lady that I truly admire! Also one of my bestest buds ever - Robbi Hiller. Glad you all had a great time!

Tracie Smith said...

We did have so much fun. I hope in the coming years more and more of our minister's wives will become more involved in the social times. I feel I was strengthened. I know even in our church people often resist those social times but so much strength can be found in being together.

Rochelle said...

What a list!! And what a wonderful time!! I know I need to get more involved in these things... my husband has not transfered his license to the Texas district, but I suppose I could still get involved here and there so I could get to know more people. This sounds like a great time! :)

iluv2prshim said...

Glad you had a "Fantabulous" time. :) I need to come back and hang out with you all again sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

Tracie - was so good to see you at District Conference & to get to spend some time "visiting" with your mom & Bro Patrick - about bringing District Conference to Beaumont every time!! well I don't know about that - it was fun but LOTS of hard work went into making it the conference it was - - - Robbi

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks for visiting, Robbi! I know an event of that magnitude is a lot of work. I was glad I got to see you despite the work! lol