Sunday, March 2, 2008

Some Change is Not Necessary

I have heard and even read much of change of late. It seems that people can always justify their need to change or not with scripture and even nature. One of my husband’s favorite books to refer leaders resistant to change within the local church is Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson, MD. Dr. Johnson’s way of using mice and cheese helps leaders find themselves in a simple plot. Additionally, this book empowers leaders to gain change skills.

I have heard all the scriptures in favor of change. I also know that nests have to get uncomfortable to get the little birds to fly. However, I do realize that the scripture teaches of firm foundations, standing still to see..., the children remained in the wilderness for 40 years. As for nature I recognize mighty oaks change from a little acorn then REMAIN an oak. It may take years for the oak to become tall, strong, or even majestic. However, the oak never changes to be anything different than a oak.

I realize God DOES NOT change but rather I must change. My prayer is God will help me change to measure to his word rather than me try to use the word to measure to my thinkings. I pray God will help the church to be sincere where change is concerned. While we may change many things within the church I hope we do not become so comfortable with change that we begin to change everything. It is by prayer and fasting that God CHANGES things. It is not by talent, ability, personal desires nor personality. Yes our church endeavors to be progressive. Our music is more progressive than some. Our programs meet or exceed the average but I hope the SPIRIT of God REMAINS in our church. I do want to be apart of a church that embraces change for the sake of change or even change that may benefit in some areas yet hinders the overall progress of the church. I do not want to justify areas that I would like to see a change but it really be contrary to the entire plan or will of God.

In this time of governmental elections many focus on the need for change. Many politicians are promising change. In fact one of the presidential canditates is using change as his platform. In the church it seems we are being pressured to change and allow things that we have never allowed. While I easily accept change my prayer is that I will not accept change that will take me off center, off focus or even in a backwards direction.

Positive change within the church requires leaders to navigate the change in order to keep the church in a correct position. Encouraging the church to remain in particular position requires that same leader navigating the church. I challenge your thinking today; to remain requires much more effort than change. Without effort life and its experiences change us whether we desire change or not. To remain often requires a little more effort.

Lately I have read musings of Sis. Linda Elms speaking of her desire for the return of the Lord. I feel surely He must come quickly. My writing of to change or not can cause much controversy. I hope rather than controversy it will help us to prayerfully consider the necessary or needed change versus the areas we should resist change. I have heard sermons that have stirred us that we have encompassed this mountain long enough. However, many times I have heard the same anointed pastors declare this ship is anchored or we will not compromise we will not change. These ministers are not being controversial rather realizing that many times we do need to change. We need to get back to an altar to a consecration with God. We need to gain victory over certain situations.

Today I simply say in a changing world we must realize that the church should remain the same. How sad if people left the church desiring something the church would not change to accept but later returned to realize it is now allowed? God help us to be real, be sincere, and seek You and what You desire for the church and not what we desire. God allow us to change to be more like you and never allow us to change to become more like the world.

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Excellent post. May I too cry out, Lord, help me change to measure to your word. Just think of what we could accomplish if this were His people's unified prayer.

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks for your remarks. You touched a chord that we have been seeking in our local church, a UNIFIED prayer and dedication to God. Our church has been fasting and praying more and we are seeing the results. Sure, the devil's mad but we are seeing the working of the Spirit. Join me in prayer for every stronghold to break in Conroe. Thanks!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Change is a big word.

I want to continue changing - to be more like Jesus.

Thank you for this great post.