Friday, March 14, 2008

Adoption

Not, flesh of my flesh, nor bone of my bone, but still, miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, you didn’t grow under my heart, but in it.

I love this little quote. This is one Redonia and I share. There is ABSOLUTLY no difference in our first born, Redonia, and our second born, Trent, whom I did give birth to. Our adoption helps me understand God’s feelings for me.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.


Redonia has always been a Daddy’s girl. When she was just a tiny toddler she would jump to his arms from any height never fearing. She KNEW her Daddy would catch her. She knows no matter the circumstance her Daddy will guide her correctly. Redonia isn’t a fearful child but in challenging circumstances just knowing Daddy is near helps her concerns to never grow to fear. Redonia thinks her Daddy can do ANYTHING and has EVERY answer. Likewise, poor Redonia, Kent thinks Redonia can do ANYTHING. Think how much God believes in us. Knowing our human weakness yet His mercies, compassions, and faithfulness is new and great to us every morning.

I could write for hours on the subject of adoption. I truly love it. Redonia loves it. She plans to adopt at least one child. I’ve warned her that her future spouse may not share the same feelings. Her thoughts are simple. ‘He will; how can someone love me and not love adoption?” She is proud to be adopted and knows she is SPECIAL.

I wish all of you had the privilege of knowing Redonia like I do. She is such a beautiful compassionate child. She gives and gives of herself to others. She is like every child, not perfect, but a pleasant gift from God to our family. I hope I can be a pleasant gift used compassionately to help others for God. Thanks, Redonia, for all you have taught me. You are my beautiful baby girl, well my beautiful young lady. I know you are 21 but you will always be my baby! Yes, you are the child we planned for and Trent, well....(this is the ongoing tease between my kids)

6 comments:

Karla said...

What a beautiful analogy. I have to say - I never knew until this moment that Redonia was adopted. I've always thought she looks so much like you! Isn't that awesome? My closest friend and her sister were both adopted as babies - I think one of them looks just like their dad and the other looks just like their mom! I guess we really can take on the likeness of Christ once we are adopted into His family!!!

iluv2prshim said...

Tracie, this is awesome. I never knew Redonia was adopted either. I love Karla's take on how we can "take on the likeness of Christ..."
This is a beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know exactly how you feel! I wrote the following:

I firmly believe that I have received the same child I was meant to receive whether I gave birth or adopted. The same soul, the same entity was meant to be mine from the beginning of time. Debra Shiveley Welch "A Very Special Child"

I adore my son and he's pretty fond of me! :-) A wonderful child. Like yours, kind, compassionate and beautiful, inside and out.

I'm glad I came across your blog.

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a beautiful post. Redonia is special as are her parents.

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks for all the kind words. It's amazing that people are still learning our daughter is adopted. We got her @ 23 hrs old! The 1st words I said to her was "You are so beautiful. I'm glad we get to adopt you!" From that moment to this we've talked about it freely with her. However, from that moment to this she is OUR child. Frustrates me when people say Trent is their real child. We have TWO REAL CHILDREN. I so understand Abba Father.

Karla, thanks for thinking she looks like me. I want tell her! :)

Debra, come back often! I'm just a Pentecostal preacher's wife who loves God, her family, and her church.

Sis. Hopper and Sis. Hurst I admie each of you. Your blogs encourage me every day!

Karen Prince said...

Tracie,
I have always thought your adoption story was awesome. We have watched your family from a distance, not once have I ever doubted that you loved both of your kids with ALL your heart.