Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bible Verse Poll

Wycliffe UK, a charity that translates Bibles conducted a survey. The survey found that although the "Good Book" may be less well read today, thousands still draw inspiration from its pages. It also found that the most popular verses tend to be those that offer Christians reassurance that they can overcome life's vicissitudes with faith. Geoff Knot, the director of Wycliffe UK, stated "It's great to see that so many people still find the Bible relevant to their day to day lives and gain encouragement, assurance, hope, comfort and wisdom from what it contains."

Top of the list was a passage from Proverbs. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.” Second place, from Jeremiah, "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

I feel many cling to these scriptures since they relate to areas of human struggles. Anxiety and fear often attacks and paralyzes the ability to trust. Fear of the unknown or the "what if" keeps so many captive. It is easy to read or quote these favorite scriptures. God help me to not only verbalize them but rather live them.

I hope you have time to leave your favorite scripture in my comments. If not a favorite maybe leave one you cling to or one you quote often? Thanks for you input!

4 comments:

Carrie Blair said...

I am not sure I have a favorite....but of late I have enjoyed this scripture:Isaiah 61:3(NIV)and provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.

Yvette said...

I'm like Carrie, there are so many that I can claim to be my favorites, but to choose one today it would be: Psalms 27:8

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

Tracie Smith said...

I love the word! I'm not sure I have a favorite either. A passage that I really love is Lamentations 3:22-23.

It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Think about HIS mercy, compassion, and faithfulness!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Love the Word, but here is a favorite - "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it..." Song of Solomon 8:7