Saturday, March 29, 2008

!!!!!Better than Expected!!!!!

Wow! Amazing! Incredible! Awesome! Powerful! On and on and on and on and on the adjectives continue to roll through my head. This morning as I looked into my pantry I realized for some strange reason I had several large containers of candy accumulated. We are not candy eaters but seem to accumulate lots of it. Kent and I bagged approx 80 goodie bags of candy. By night fall every bag was given away to deserving outreach children.

Misti Ferguson, Shirley & Javier Nunez, Redonia, Kent and I went in the church van to Dugan. We had an overwhelming response. At first I was disappointed because not many children were out. One of my buddies said it was because this was the weekend most of the kids had to go and visit their Dads. Of course this broke my heart. This just reminded me that most of the children don’t live with their fathers.

We took advantage of the day and tried to visit with some of the adults without children. After doing so kids started appearing from everywhere. After a little bit Redonia disappeared. She is a totally beautiful young lady who really should not wander around by herself. We found her helping some little girls fill water balloons. You could tell the girls thought Redonia was so cool. Tall Timbers ROCKS and each of us had so much fun!

After leaving Tall Timbers we went to a smaller apartment complex nearby. Wow! What shock we felt! I'm pretty sure Misti and Shirely were on overload by this point in the day. This complex seems like what you would expect in another country. The apartments are very small and each building is really close. We made new friends. Seven people committed to being in church tomorrow from this complex.


Now for a drum roll, a shout of victory, a cry of thanksgiving, a spirit of rejoicing....are you ready….we have 44 persons committed to going to church tomorrow. Yes!! Praise the Lord! Seven of these are adults. Somebody is going to receive the Holy Ghost tomorrow. Yes, I KNOW and don’t remind me that not all of them will come but if I pick up ½ and normally the ratio is greater than that I will have 22 guests. Now for vehicle space….we are taking the van and Shirley is taking her Suburban. We know that will not be enough space if most join us. We will call for back up support if more is needed. Thanks for keeping CUPC in your prayers. Stay tuned for a soon to be Holy Ghost count!

7 comments:

Gene Holley said...

This is incredible! I am believing for a great harvest!

Rochelle said...

That is awesome!!!! I can't wait to read about tomorrow's service!!

Our quizzers aren't home from the retreat yet. They stopped at the beach on the drive home and my daughter informed me that she has sand everywhere!! She has a blast! I love Bible Quizzing! I used to coach seniors back in Indiana. I help out when needed, but mostly just work with Keilani. It is a lot of work, but it is worth it!

Jana Allard said...

I remember going to the projects as a bus captain and playing with kids. Some have now grown up and become faithful saints. A little three year old girl from the projects, came on the bus faithfully every Sunday. She grew up, got the Holy Ghost, and took my place as captain. She is now married and a home missions's pastor's wife. We had three busses as the time and my bus had the record attendance of 178 one Sunday. We made two trips and even so had kids sitting on top of kids and standing in the aisle. I look back to that and think the police today would never let us get by. But, God was always there to protect us. I truly understand your enthusiasm. Those kids are precious!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Truly God is pouring out a Holy Ghost tidal wave! I am so thrilled for you as I read this!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

What an exciting post. It takes me back to the days of bus ministry (as youth leaders we had the young peoples bus). It is one of the most rewarding of ministries as it allowed us to see mankind through God's eyes. It makes us more caring of others and appreciative for the goodness bestowed upon us. Praying an abundance of wonders and miracles for CUPC.

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Tracie....

Let me brag on you a bit...

The senior pastor's wife....

Of not a strugging little work but rather a full vibrant church filled with full time staffers and ministries and responsibiities....

I am paying people who are not doing what you are....

Out in the ghetto....

Loving kids and their mommas....

And you let me drive the van for you....

I am proud of you....

And am crazy in love with you as well......

xoxo

By the way folks...

I am married to the lady!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite memories of my pastor and his wife --
I had just moved to Conroe, didn't know the Smith's very well, and walked into the school/church office and found her sitting on his lap and they were kissing. It was NOT what I had been accustomed to in my previous experience with ministry. BUT - it was AWESOME to see the love these two have.
Such a continuing example for all of us... Thanks
And aren't we glad we've grown past the combined office routine...