Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"Pretend that every single person you meet
has a sign around his or her neck that says,
'Make me feel important.'
Not only will you succeed in sales,
you will succeed in life."
-- Mary Kay Ash

While in a shopping mall, the grocery store, or the airport have you ever felt like you had a sign around your neck? Frankly, I’m not speaking of a sign like “Be nice to me, I’ve had a tough day” or “Come on and smile, I’m a Pentecostal, too”.
I’m talking about the sign that causes someone to pour out all their problems on you while standing in a check-out lane or ask for $5.00 because they are short that much for the bus fare to make it to Dallas to see their baby who was just admitted to the hospital and not expected to survive. My sweet husband and dear friend, Belinda Alba, always seem to have these type signs around their necks. Travelling together with them can prove to be interesting. While one gets stopped by one person the other is only steps away caught by someone else. Bro. Alba and I always sit back and smile waiting to hear about their new friends. What fun times we’ve shared!

Today, however, I wish to focus on signs that others may have hanging around their necks. I want to see the hopelessness, the loneliness, the emptiness, or the need for prayer that people I come in contact may be wearing. Often people in need have grown accustomed to their situations and don’t reach out for help. I believe if I will allow God to work in me I will see the sign and not have to even wait to “hear” the need. I know there are so many desperate situations in our churches, families, and communities but with God’s help we can minister and remove the sign of need and replace with signs of hope for others.

8 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a wonderful thought - Focus on the Signs.

Deadra's Dialogue said...

That is an awesome post. Thanks for reminding us to be sensitive to the needs of others around us and not so focused on just our needs. Here's your sign...

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Good preaching Pastor Tracie!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tracie, for seeing that sign on me not once, but twice, at Target! You know who this is!

Tracie Smith said...

Anonymous, I DO KNOW who you are! Allow me to say the 2nd time I saw you I didn't recognize you but as you know I felt immediately the need to reach out to you. I hope you could feel HIM through me! His love, His grace, and His power is undescribable. May you always know He is near! You are in my daily prayers. Thanks for visiting my blog. Please visit often. You have encouraged me to continue to write and be sensitive, too! I'm believing it will not be long.....

Tracie Smith said...

PS I did get the phone msg...sorry I was late getting to the office. Let's do lunch and talk! I believe every confusion will soon leave.

Deadra's Dialogue said...

WOW...how amazing this is.....thanks for always being sensitive to the needs of others. Love ya!

Belinda said...

His Grace and Mercy.....WOW I loved this blog...(not just because my names in it either hahaha) There have been so many times I have told those that are attracked to my sign that I would pray for them and they were so happy it was like they felt hope. The song playing right now is "Healing Rain" how approiate. Love ya bunches