Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A first for me

I love first time events. Reoccurences never equal them. You know the first time your baby giggles, rolls over, takes a first step, the first solo you child is given in the children’s choir, your first rose, and on and on the list rolls. If you have been to my husband’s blog you know he beat me to the post. Kent referred to my first time event as a refreshing drink of cool water. Since only a couple years I’ve made myself drink lots of water I would rather refer to it as something more enjoyable. Maybe it was the pecan pie with ice cream or Italian cream cake to the wonderful southern meal of pork chops, cream style corn, peas, buttered potatoes, sweet cornbread, and sweet tea that my Mom cooked for dinner.

We had a sectional conference and I normally always go. This time I just simply felt I could not push myself another inch. I stayed home and worked on some wedding details, some church things, and even relaxed reading a few blogs and headlines. The house phone rang a few times and I just could not drag myself out of the chair to answer. I thought if anyone really needed me they would call my cell phone laying in the chair beside me. Just after 9:00 pm the phone rang. I decided to answer. The caller on the other end said “Sis. Smith I have been thinking about you today and I just wanted to call and make sure you are ok.” Now this minister’s wife has NEVER called me nor have I ever called her. In fact I don't know if our husbands have even communicated except at a conference or camp meeting. She was just mindful of me. She will NEVER know what this phone call meant to me. We have been in full-time ministry for 23 or 24 years and this was absolutely the first time anyone has called to let me know they were thinking about me. Oh we have close ministry friends that call and I call them. This is someone that I admire greatly who took the time to call me on a day I needed it most. Now my admiration is even greater for this dear lady.

As Kent posted it made me want to call more people or send a note to simply say I care! This phone call gave the feeling that not only was Sis. ______ mindful of me but God is also mindful of me. We all know that we can be “Jesus” to the lost world who may not know Him. Tonight I had “Jesus” sweep into my home as I chatted with someone who called to let me know she cared. I’m thankful I stayed home. I would not have wanted to miss the call. I’m glad for some strange reason I decided I needed to take the call. I hope this post will encourage each of us to be thoughtful of others. All my cares seemed to vanish. I hope each of you experience a smile today.

12 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Your post is so beautiful, and it put a smile on my face too. Caring is so important. Speaking as a saint, if only saints would realize how important it is for them to genuinely care and lift up the ministry. Too many are oblivious to the needs of their soul keepers. Again, it is an inspiring post.

Linda Elms said...

Sis. Smith, what a beautiful post. Thank you for showing all of us the importance of staying "in touch". Love you!

Carrie Blair said...

This is a good example of reaping what you sow.....you are always encouraging others.

Anonymous said...

We've only met a couple of times, but I ran across your blog the other day and now it is one that I read on a regular basis. Your blogs are such an inspiration!! Your compassion for your church and the lost of your city shows deeply in your writings. As I read your blog tonight, it was a blessing to know that people are still led by the Lord to let other people know that they are being thought of. Too many people today are more concerned about what someone will think if they step out and just let someone they aren't close to know that they were being thought of. I'm so glad that that dear sister listened to the Lord and was such a blessing to you. You deserve it!! God Bless!!

KAN said...

It is such an incredibly wonderful feeling, if not the most HUMBLING feeling to know that no matter what, when, where, or why, God is mindful of you.

I remember a particular Wednesday night that I struggled with my own particularly binding "pity party" and was truly debating if I could get off of my couch and get to church. As I was talking to God I told Him I wouldn't let go and used the phrase "come Hell or High water". So, I got up and went.

Bro Smith called everyone to the altar before church, praying for needs. He started talking about someone who just before church was sitting in their living room, debating with their emotions, etc, and then Bro Smith said God wasn't going to let go of them "come Hell or High Water.

Bro Smith then went on to encourage that particular person, but I stood there, speechless, awed and like I said before, so humbled that God would take the time to remind me that He was there and He was still in control.

"Who am I that You are mindful of me?"

Kathleen

Jana Allard said...

Just as God watches the sparrows, so much more His eye on us. What a beautiful post.

Keith and Carla said...

Thanks for this post! It is a reminder to get "out of ourselves" and to remembers others.

Tracie Smith said...

I'm still smiling because of my phone call! I hope this post will help us all. While it's easy for me to contact people within our church and even our close friends I do plan to start expanding my boundries!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Wonderful post!
Thank you for your honesty. Go ahead expand!!! You will find new strength and blessings in it!
You are a beautiful women of God and your burden for the lost is obvious. This next step will be awesome. No telling how you will be used!
Thank you for the reminder to step out of our comfort zone and be more mindful of others.

Tracie Smith said...

Katrina, I do remember meeting you! I just can't remember where! ha I know you guys pastor in Edna. I would LOVE to get to know you better. Visit my blog often. I will add you to my list. I would like to see more and more preacher's wives connected. We NEED one another. I will add you to my prayers. Please pray for me and Conroe often!

Anonymous said...

Sis. Smith,
We met for the 1st time at TOR 2006in Houston. Our husbands were both sponsors. I will add you to my blog list also and pray for you and all you do. I also beleive that being a pastor's wife is a high calling & a great joy, but it can be lonely at times. We all need each other. I as a young/new pastor's wife look for inspiration from you and others who have been in the ministry for many more years (that doesn't mean you are old LOL). Thank you for being a blessing!!
Katrinia Thrasher

Rochelle said...

What a wonderful post. I love your honesty. God is surely in the details of your life!