Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mission Accomplished

Isn't it a great feeling to get to the end of the day and feel mission accomplished? Today I feel just that way! I'm excited about my accomplishments for the day yet burdened with them.

All week I have longed for today so I could return to Tall Timber's Apartments to visit my friends. I have been burdened for my special twelve year old friend Destiny. Upon arriving at the apartments I saw Destiny across the complex. I couldn't resist. I yelled out for her. She came charging to me. After finding Destiny my burden only intensified. Her eyes didn't sparkle nor did her dimpled checks dance with excitement. I attempted to find out what was wrong but she has mastered keeping her feelings deeply compartmentalized. She wouldn't utter a word of what was wrong. After ensuring she would go to church with me again tomorrow I left to find more people to invite.

After finishing our stroll through this horrible comlex of drugs, alcohol, and violence I have 7 children and 3 adults committed to allowing me pick them up for Sunday School tomorrow. I'm believing there will even be more to get on the van when I arrive.

When we got ready to leave I spotted Destiny again. I couldn't resist I had to go and chat a little more. Still I felt such an urgency that my friend is sad. I struggled knowing it would be a long day and night until I see her again not knowing if she is ok. Finally I told her that Kent and I were going to have lunch (much to Kent's surprise). I asked if she would like to join us. She quitely accepted the offer and called her dad to make sure it would be okay.

I chose a little barbeque shack nearby so we could enjoy the bright sunshine and a picnic lunch. Destiny sat quietly starring most of the meal. Last Sunday night she was the winner of a MP3 player we gave away. Today she proudly carried the player in her hands as she had the earplugs in her ears.

Attempting to draw Destiny into conversation, I asked what music did she put on the player. She sadly looked at me and told me there isn't any music on it because she doesn't have access to a computer to download music. My heart sank deep. I offered to take it home and fill it with music. She has been taught to not trust, therefore, she really doesn't trust me yet either. Finally I told her I would have Redonia load it at church tomorrow. She smiled and said thanks.

She did tell Kent and me again about the crime in the apartment complex and the reward out for the person that recently murdered someone there. Her little world is just so dark. This is what has driven me to reach this child. She went to church with me both services last Sunday and again on Wednesday night. I know before long she is going to receive the Holy Ghost. She told me she loves the praise and worship.

Will you join me in prayer for my burden for the residents of Tall Timber's Apartments? These are very poor and addicted persons living in the highest crime area of our city and possibly even our county. I know that God is going to set them free. I also know that the children that I reach out to God is going to give me wisdom to help them in every area of their lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Traci.

Thank you for this beautiful column...it has touched me deeply. I've taken a little time to pray sincerely for Destiny...and for you and your husband as you minister in this needy spot.

We know the answer...Jesus is the only One who can truly redeem these people.

I wish you every success with your blog and especially with your work for God.

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Tracie Smith said...

Thank you, Sis. Buxton. I covet your prayers the next few wks in this new "mission field". My posts in regards to this area doesn't even begin to adequately describe it. Destiny did go to church Sunday morning. She told me she was going Sunday night however when I got there to pick her up she was spending some time with some teen boys much her senior in age. This too alarmed me. I KNOW God is able!