Thursday, February 28, 2008

Heroes

a man of distinguished courage or ability,
admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities

Cohabiting in society with persons whose lives are guided by that of their heroes brings diverse values even to our churches. Heroes are often wealthy, in public view, trendsetters, ballplayers, movie stars, rock stars, or sharp dressers and the list goes on and on. While many in our congregations follow these heroes it is challenging for us to admonish these dear people to adhere to Romans 12:2.

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed….”

Many adults find it easy to complain about youth feeling peer pressure and having heroes while in fact the same adults are guided by a different set of heroes. Adult heroes are often persons who better prepared for retirement, someone with smoother skin, persons with a more disciplined lifestyle and etc. Preachers and wives have heroes, too. Often these heroes are the ones who are on the conference platforms, the elected leaders, the dynamic orator, the talented musician or singer, the sharp dressers, and this list continues.

I, too, have a few heroes. My heroes are home missionary families. While these may not possess the qualities of the heroes I spoke of in the first paragraph they do fulfill the true definition that I quoted from dictionary.com. Church planting requires a very distinguished courage and ability. Bravery is also required to uproot a family and take on the financial responsibility of not only your family but that of a church. These heroes are selfless. They recognize for their church to prosper personal desires and needs often must be set aside. Home missionary children find themselves involved in things the average child would never do. These children assist with building projects, baby sit for bible studies, and become church workers while they are only adolescents just to name a few.

Though some may feel the duties of home missionaries are negative be assured a true home missionary rarely feels negative about these duties. A brief lonely or tired feeling may enter the thought process but then the burden resurfaces and off to work he will go!

Inspiration for this post is from our friends, Gene and Karla Holley’s blog and a comment made by another friend, Kenny Prince, on the same blog. Each of these families is involved in home missions. Join me in prayer for an outpouring of the Spirit this weekend in Pflugerville and Bullard. Having been a home missionary’s wife I realize the home missionary wife feels the weight for not only the church and her children but also the husband. Join me specifically in praying for my friends, Karla and Karen. Girls, you are my heroes!!!! I know this weekend God is going to do something special for each of you.

6 comments:

Karen Prince said...

Tracie,
Thanks so much for your kind words. And for the prayer. We are having our first official revival this week-end and are expecting great things.
Home Missions can be demanding at times, lonely a lot of the time, but very rewarding other times. We see little tiny, baby steps then all of a sudden we see a huge, giant step forward. This week has been a great week for seeing those big steps! I really appreciate you thinking of us. God bless you and yours!

Love,
Karen

Karla said...

Tracie,
I join Karen in saying thank you! Your words are timely and so appreciated. I look forward to your comments on our blog, because I know "you've been there." I'm looking forward to what God is going to do through the prayers made from this post!!

Love you!
Karla

(if y'all come to Austin for ANY reason - call us - we'll show you around our church and enjoy lunch, dinner, coffee, whatever!)

Tracie Smith said...

Karen & Karla,
I can honestly say each time I visit your sites I've been reminded of our earlier days in HM. I pray God will help you just as he did Kent and me. Being a little further down the road I can truly say it was worth every effort. I KNOW this morning as I was praying I felt so strongly that God is going do do something special for each of you.

Karla, Kent says we are going to take you up on the offer. HM is just in our blood!!! We get so excited when we get to see fresh starts....

Love you both!

Karla said...

Looking forward to it.

iluv2prshim said...

Tracie, I am with you! "God bless these churches this week-end. Send an outpouring of your spirit to Pflugerville and Bullard. And especially touch Karla and Karen. Give them the blessing they have been asking for."

Of course my heart swells with pride when I read Gene and Karla's blog. Hmmmm...wonder why that is? You would think she's my baby sister or something. :)

Tracie Smith said...

I know you are proud of them. For some reason I was just seized with burden. Yes, it could just be because I've been there but regardless, thanks for believing with me!!! I think both of their blogs will report victory Monday...waiting to hear

PS Hope you guys have great church out in California, too.